3790 Online
108791 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BL465c G7 hangs on reboot

Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Thanks for that.
We're running the QMH2562 which is the 8Gb variant. We're not running the NC532m.

I'll try and do some testing with the Mezz card removed.
What do you have beyond the Mezz card, an FC Switch or pass-through?
Just trying to get an idea of what's common here.
Also included an e-mail address above if you want to swap notes directly.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Removing the only Mezz car (QMH2562) made no difference here.
woby
Advisor

Hi Rob,

we are using 4 flex-10 modules and 2 fc-switches in this enclosure. I can reproduce the hanging by adding the mezzanincard. I am not at the office today, can do a little more testing tomrrow. btw have you also removed the cmos battery?

regards
w.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

No, but we do have an Array battery problem.
I've not been the one opening up the server (well not usually) where's the CMOS Battery?
woby
Advisor

Hi Rob,

i don├В┬┤t mean the array-battery; the cmos-battery is seated under the array-battery
. I removed the cmos-battery because i have found this article describing a similar problem.
https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3135172

rw
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

rw,
Different result here.
I removed the CMOS battery for a minute, removed the only Mezz card we have installed and retested. Server hung on the first reboot test.
bradfordc
Occasional Advisor

Reboot Issue
-------------
Can confirm this issue is not mezz card related for us. I have tested 2 BL465c G7 blades without any mezz cards - they exhibit the same problem.

On further analysis I have looked at the tech support local console during the reboot and the server hangs on 'Requesting system reboot.' When comparing this to a BL460c G6 this appears to be the last output prior to the power being reset.

We have made some progress on other fronts.

ECC Issue
-----------
I implemented the below, and this has since resolved the ECC memory issues.

1. Reboot the server and enter RBSU
2. Select Power Management Options
3. Select HP Power Profile
4. Select Maximum Performance
5. Verify that HP Power regulator is now set to HP Static High Performance Mode

HP Support will give more information on this fix.

PSOD Issue
-----------
There is also a new CNA driver available from HP support, version 2.102.486. This resolves the PSOD #PF Exception 14 errors we have been getting.

We're still left with the reboot issue at this stage, but 2/3 isn't too bad at this stage. The serevrs appear to be stable now, and I'm not lookign to reboot them all that often so the urgency has gone from this issue.
bradfordc
Occasional Advisor

OK, an interesting development. If I unassign the Virtual Connect profile from one of the ESXi 4.1 blades it will reboot without any issue. I have tested this several times.

Rob, can you replicate this in your environment?

I know without a profile the servers are far from useful, but this may help identify the root cause.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I can confirm we saw the same here.
As you say removing the profile has quite an impact. The host obviously is not registering with vCentre etc.
Removed the profile and an F12 / Restart from the console worked as expected.
bconstant
Advisor

Hello,

I've got exact same behaviour on my environment.
I'm using HP VC Flex-10 Enet Module for Ethernet connectivity and HP B-series 8/24c SAN Switch for SAN connectvity.
I've server profiles applied to all my blades and get a PSOD when I reboot these.
Did you progress on this issue?

Regards,