6072 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

BL465c G7 not reporting CPU & RAM // C7000

CarlFrost
Occasional Contributor

BL465c G7 not reporting CPU & RAM // C7000

Hi,

First time Blade Enclosure user here. Have set up quite a few renderfarms and license servers before but they have all been based around 1U-2U racks. Being Creative (3D and VFX) primarily I still kinda know my ways around the technical side of production and infrastructure. Blade enclosures and blades are however a blind spot.

Brief background and current situation:
Got a C7000 with 16 x BL465c G7 and trying to investigate the current state of it all. It's been disconnected for a while and all parts were removed. I have connected PSUs, Fans, KVM and one more controller unit in the back which I am unsure of what it actually does… I connected 4 blades which were all recognised instantly. Showing amber light and appearing in OA. However, none of them wanted to boot saying “power delayed until VC profile is applied”. I went ahead and flashed the latest OA firmware going from 4.70 —> 4.97. After the system rebooted the blades were moved to "ok status" and turned green!

I thought, sweet lets connect a few more. I have now connected 8 blades. The new blades connected also said  power delayed until VC profile is applied”. I rebooted the OA and 2 of the 4 Blades were moved to “OK status”. The last 2 still wants a VC profile applied. As you can tell from this, I have pretty much no idea what I am doing. Randomly fixing things without actually knowing what solved it. I would be very grateful for guidance. I guess some (all) of you will say “try reading the manual”. I have, but I don’t know what I am looking for. It’s a wall of text! 

Questions at the moment:

- Some Blades do report type of processor and amount of RAM in OA,  others don’t. Hardware fault or misconfiguration?
- Some Blades show pretty weird/garbage names in OA.  Hardware fault or misconfiguration?

- A couple of Blades still show “power delayed until VC profile is applied”. What is the cause of this? How do I fix it?

- How do I connect to individual Blades? They seem to be given an internal IP through iLO which I am unable to reach via network/OA

- Is there a desktop side software to manage the enclosure and/or individual blades? 

- What the best way to deploy OS and software over multiple Blades? Preferably unattended.

Thanks in advance,

// Carl

1 REPLY 1
TVVJ
HPE Pro

Re: BL465c G7 not reporting CPU & RAM // C7000

Hello,

• Clearing the blade's system configuration may help. Refer to the HP ProLiant BL465c G7 Server Blade User Guide, page 10 for steps.
  • Login to the Onboard Administrator (OA) and from there click the iLO link for the respective server. You may refer to the OA user guide for more information.
  • There is no desktop side software to manage the enclosure.
  • There are many ways. One way is to use the Virtual Media to mount the ISO image and install the operating system. You may refer to iLO User Guide, page 131 section "Using iLO Virtual Media ".
  • If iLO is ot configured, then connect SUV cable to the server, power cycle it and press F8 key during POST prompt to access iLO BIOS and configure it. 

Regards,

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo