1752592 Members
3802 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BL480 Questions

Dave Morfee

BL480 Questions

We are looking into using BL480 blades and the c7000 enclosure at work, however I have some questions, that I am struggling to find the answers for and was wondering if you can help.

1. I have read some threads on there about the different way to install the OS onto the Baldes, there seems to be two methods, one is using a USB cdrom drive, can this be any kind? or a specfic brand? I only as as I know Dells were funny about this years ago.

Assuming you just need a generic usb drive, is it a case of telling the blade to boot from the USB CDrom drive and install smartstart etc?

Also ilo install is mentioned, how does this work? any links to documentation for it?

2. Out of the 4 BL480s two will be in a cluster, for which it needs two network cards, a private one for the heartbeat network and one for connection to the outside network. Does the private network use some of the exterior network ports? or does the data have to go to the switch then back to the enclosure?

3. I have been to docs.hp.com but can not find any install guides, tech guides on the Bl480 nor does the Tech docs link on the product.

So if anyone has any links to manuals etc I would be happy to see them

Thanks

Dave
6 REPLIES 6
Raghuarch
Honored Contributor

Dave,

you can use any CDROM to install the OS and smart start. If you are planing to buy one It is recommended you get a HP one. If you have one already you can use the same.

Please refer to Page 104 for how to install OS using Virtual media.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00553302/c00553302.pdf

iLO2 will be same across all the servers.
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

1. normal USB DVD drives work, we have had problems with one with some cool integrated video thingies. Old and new LG for example work fine.

2. You dont tell what interconnect modules are used

3. And here the documents
http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/cache/316682-0-0-0-121.html
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
Dave Morfee

We are using HP BLc Bnt 1GbE2 Option Kit 410917-B21. We will be having 2 of these.

From what I understand they are 4 port gig switches

Thanks

Dave
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

data does not have to leave from the enclosure when communicating machines in the same enclosure.

Dave Morfee

Thanks for that
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

Points would also be great way to show how this helped / not helped You =)