6363 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: BL480C with 64GB RAM

Deejwood
Visitor

BL480C with 64GB RAM

Hi,

Hoping someone can help. I know the hardware is a little old in the tooth, but its what I have to work with. We have 7 BL480c G1 blades in a 7000C chassis, and my manager has bought a shed load of RAM to max them out to 64GB each.

According to the HP spec's they can take 64GB, I can see this in the BIOS when I add 64GB, it picks up the 64GB! But during POST and in the OS, its only seeing 48GB.

I've set the memory to ADVANCED EEC Support, so there are no inline spares or mirroring going on. Tried this with a couple of blades, same issue. They see the RAM, but only report 48GB during POST and in OS (Windows 2008 R2 64bit)

Any thoughhts as to what I've missed?

Thanks in advance

Deej

2 REPLIES 2
zchris
Advisor

Deej,

Have you verified the part number of the dimms? Based on the quickspec, the are specific dimms and configurations that will allow you to go up to 64GB. Mainly a (8 X 8) using 8GB dimms and a (6X8) using 8GB dimms with (4X4) using 4GB dimms. The quickspec shows the part numbers of the dimms needed to achieve this configuration.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12513_na/12513_na.pdf

Chris

Deejwood
Visitor

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply. My manager got our supplier to order whats best for the blades, then handed me the box and here where we stand. They're  HP kits, but dont have the PN to hand. 

Like I say, its odd as the BIOS and CPUZ pick up that 64 is installed, but the OS and POST only report 48GB. I've tried all suggested combinations in the user guide, same situation, sees 64GB only uses 48GB.

Think I may be wasting my time with the BL480's, might propose an early kit refresh and get some BL460 G8's.

Deej