1748265 Members
4061 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BL490 G6 jumbo frames

beovax
Advisor

BL490 G6 jumbo frames

Does any one know if this server supports 9K jumbo frames? The quickspecs report 4K only but other documents for the NC532i network controller report 9K are supported.

We are using flex10 is this makes any differnence

Cheers
6 REPLIES 6
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

What is Your virtual connect firmware ?
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
Gerardo Arceri
Trusted Contributor

Greetings.. We have at least 500 BL460G6 servers using that NIC. It does support 9K jumbo frames indeed. no problems whatsoever.
beovax
Advisor

Sorry for not getting back sooner. We will be using the latest virtual conenct firmware as of 2 weeks ago, although the person who can find the exact version is away on holiday.

We have had this update from the lefthand engineers who say not to use it

-----------------------------------------

The limitation of 4K Jumbo frame is due to a limitation in the chipset of the NC352

This is the engineering advisory

There should be an EA (Engineering Advisory) on this. So the specifics to it are out in the EA system. The quickspecs are wrong and they are working to correct them. There is a defect in the chipset that can├в t be fixed.

As far as the usage between 4K and 9K, the 4K should be more than adequate for their usage. Even in most situations with jumbo frames enabled, most frames aren├в t above 1K in size. The speed increase via 10G should be more than sufficient.

I would suggest now you have gone back to ALB, turn the jumbo framing back on to 4K this will get you some improvement in speed

--------------------------------------------

rick jones
Honored Contributor

Just remember that if one node in the "broadcast domain" (collection of devices passing things around at layer 2) has an MTU of 4K, all devices in the broadcast domain should (very nearly must) have an MTU of 4K.

Also, this discussion touches on "works" vs "supported" so I will trot-out this bit of text I've used from time to time to explain the difference in HPspeak between "works" and "supported."

Supported, known to work -> warm fuzzies all around
Supported, not known to not work -> an HPite may be in trouble
Supported, known to not work -> an HPite is in trouble
Unsupported, known to work -> lucky today, unlucky tomorrow?
Unsupported, not known to not work -> there but for the grace of Turing
Unsupported, known to not work -> no, it was not deliberate ;-)

there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

I remember that latest VC firmware and NIC fw would allow the 9K frames.
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
Dale Boll

Running VC firmware 3.01, latest NIC driver & firmware on a BL495 G6 and jumbo frames are unavailable still.

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01995738тМй=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=3958220&prodTypeId=329290