1748051 Members
5428 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BL490C ORCA

JonathanT
Frequent Advisor

BL490C ORCA

How in the world do I access the ORCA to configure RAID-1 on the internal SSD drives. I've seen this mentioned in all the docs I've poured over, but I can't seem to find a way to trigger the prompt where I can hit F8. Can anyone help me out?
8 REPLIES 8
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

Can You configure HW RAID with SSD disks ?
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

no You can't

Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

Finger trouble?

Yup there is no array controller on the BL490 so nothing to respond to F8. Software RAID only.

Or dont bother with a 2nd drive. SSD drives are nearly as reliable as two spinny disks configured as RAID1.
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

I was to eager to answer to myself =)

JonathanT
Frequent Advisor

Thanks guys for the answer. I agree that SSDs are just about as reliable as single drives, but sometimes they fail or you might need to upgrade a firmware or something. Software raid it is on these guys. I wonder if HP shouldn't update their manual to make this more clear.
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

Yes you are not the first to ask where the RAID controller is on a BL495 or BL490.

I think people do read the spec but assume it must have a raid controller because all the other servers do.
JonathanT
Frequent Advisor

I guess one important question is wether ilo2 is going to see an error if a drive were to fail that was connected? Is that going to trigger the amber light, etc. I know it's incredibly unlikely with SSD, but an important thing to probably understand before the server sees production usage. Curious why they bothered to remove the raid controller from some of their highest end models.
Daniel Bowers
Trusted Contributor

>>I wonder if HP shouldn't update their manual to make this more clear.

They should. (Or I mean "we should" -- I work in that group). The reference to ORCA in the 490 manuals was meant to cover the case of a Smart Array controller in a mezzanine slot (like the P700m). Thanks for flagging this, I'll get the docs clarified.