1752806 Members
6260 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

BL495c G5 or G6?

Koopa
Frequent Advisor

BL495c G5 or G6?

I've replaced a system board on a G6 with the system board p/n i got off HP partsurfer. Now from what I can see it is the same partnumber as a G5. When I installed this blade in my chassis. it shows as a BL495c G5 on the insight display with no cpu's or memory. The part number i used was a 488623-001.
4 REPLIES 4
Daniel Bowers
Trusted Contributor

Re: BL495c G5 or G6?

Will the server boot?

The BL495c G5 and BL495c G6 indeed share the same motherboard, and use the same BIOS. I believe if you have an Opteron 2300-series processor ("Barcelona") installed, on boot the server will identify itself as a G5; if you install a 2400-series processor (Istanbul), it will identify itself as a G6.
Koopa
Frequent Advisor

I can't see if the server boots.

I know it has 2400 cpu's installed, but as I say the system says its a G5 not a G6?

But the panel says I don't have any cpu's or memory installed. So you don't think i have to flash the bios, to make it see the correct model type?
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

When you replace a system i/o board on a proliant you must set the chassis serial number and the product number in the RBSU (BIOS).

Try to set correct product number, and it might chance.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

Daniel Bowers
Trusted Contributor

You may have to flash the BIOS. If your motherboard has a very old BIOS on it that doesn't recognize the 2400-series processor, that would prevent the blade from booting (and possibly indirectly cause what you're seeing on the Insight Display).

The blade may have to boot up at least once in your case so that the server BIOS, iLO, and enclosure Onboard Administrator all know that you have a G6 config.

Also agree w/above that you should update the serial # to make it match your original serial #. I don't think that would cause what you're seeing, though.