108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BL60p usb DVD install question

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tim Hempstead
Frequent Advisor

BL60p usb DVD install question

Hi, We've just got some BL60p blades in (on loan from HP) and we need to do some clean OS installs on them.

Now i've referred to the install guide document and on pg66 it indicates that this done by using a special connectivity cable and a USB DVD drive.

Does this have to be a specific type/make/model of usb dvd drive, i.e. how fussy is it.

(of course we would prefer to use an Ignite server, unfortuantley we don't have a suitable one or image available).

Tim
4 REPLIES 4
Luk Vandenbussche
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

I installed one last week with a toshiba external USB DVD. So there issue with the type/make/model.

Tim Hempstead
Frequent Advisor

Thats good, does anyone else have any makes and models that work?

Cheers

Tim
aneez
Regular Advisor

Hi Tim,

yesterday i installed the HP UX on bl60p server with external LG DVD USB drive.it was working fine with out any problem.

Aneez
Tim Hempstead
Frequent Advisor

For reference, we also had success with a LG DVD/CDRW external USB drive, (although it was very slow but that could have been down to the poor state of the HP provided media).

We also tried a Freecom 18x DVDRW. This failed big time consistently. The system would find the install media, load the initial kernel into memory and try to boot. The booting would get as far as the table displaying the memory size information and then the sytem would crash with a kernel panic.

Tim