1747983 Members
4576 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BL680 - port mapping

samaoas
Frequent Advisor

BL680 - port mapping

I have a Bl680 server having 3 mezznaine slots.
i have the below configuration.
mazznanine slot 1- qlogic dual port card
mazznanine slot 2- quad port network card
mazznanine slot 3 - quad port netowkr card

by default Maznine slot 1 maps to inteconnect bay 3,4 and maznanine slot 2 maps with interconnect bay 5,6 and maz slot 3 maps with bay 7,8.

Now i have quad port cards to maz slot 2 and 3. in this scenario, maz slot 2 maps with interconnect bay 5,6,7,8. In this scenario,, where the 3rd quad port card maps ???

4 REPLIES 4
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

An important fact would have been your enclosure type, which you didn't specify. However, as you list 8 interconnect bays I guess you mean a c7000 enclosure.

> by default Maznine slot 1 maps to inteconnect bay 3,4

This is correct.

> and maznanine slot 2 maps with interconnect bay 5,6 and maz slot 3 maps with bay 7,8.

No, this is incorrect, as you noticed.

Each interconnect bay has 16 ports.

If you install a quad-port NIC to mezzanine slot 1, you'd see it map to *two* ports on bay 3 and *two* ports on bay 4. (For example, if the blade is in the first slot, the ports would be #1 and #9 on each interconnect bay.)

But for mezzanine slots 2 and 3, the mapping is different: a quad-port NIC in either of these slots will map to *one* port on *each* bay 5, 6, 7 and 8.

(I don't have my documentation available right now, but I think the mezzanine slot 2 on the blades maps to ports #1...#8 on bays 5, 6, 7 and 8. The mezzanine slot 3 will then map to ports #9...#16 on those same bays.)

You can always verify the port mappings for your current hardware by using the Onboard Administrator web interface, or by using the little screen at the front of the enclosure. In both, you can select a blade and have it display the respective port mappings clearly.

MK
MK
samaoas
Frequent Advisor

thanks for the information.

My Enclosure is C7000 only.

(Maz slot 1 i am using dual port card, so it will map in to bay 3,4)

I want to use 2 No's of quad port cards into Maz slot 2 and 3.
Please see the attache diagram, It shows that Maz slot 2 (quad Port card) maps with bay 5,6/7,8. and Maz slot 3 also maps with 5,6/7.8.
In this scenario,, i can see some conflict happening using quad port cards in maz slot 2,3. as these are mapping to bay 5,6,7,8 and only 4 ports are available in bay side but we have 8 ports totally by using 2 quad port cards.

I dont have this scenario, but i want to know the port mapping,.
samaoas
Frequent Advisor

Attched the full height blade port mapping
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Dear Samaoas,

there is no conflict in the ports when using two 4 port mezz card in mezzanine slot 2 and 3 because (what your drawing is missing) the ports are mapped this way for full height servers like bl680c:

mezz 2: port 1 -> interconnect 5 port N
mezz 2: port 2 -> interconnect 6 port N
mezz 2: port 3 -> interconnect 7 port N
mezz 2: port 4 -> interconnect 8 port N

mezz 3: port 1 -> interconnect 7 port N+8
mezz 3: port 2 -> interconnect 8 port N+8
mezz 3: port 3 -> interconnect 5 port N+8
mezz 3: port 4 -> interconnect 6 port N+8

Where N = the serverblade bay number
So if your blade is in bay 1 the ports 1 and 9 will be use on all four interconnects in slots 5,6,7 and 8, making a total of 8 ports with no conflict.

HTH

Kris