1752661 Members
5716 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

BL685c CPU addition problem - dead server

Iain Radford
Occasional Contributor

BL685c CPU addition problem - dead server

I have a problem with a 685 that currently has 2 * 8214 CPUs and 8 * 2GB Dimms (16GB). After adding 2 additional cpus and the same amount of memory the server does not boot. The health LED stays green but the NIC LEDs seem to flash in a sequence that may indicate an error. The LEDs for NIC 3 & 4 remain on, whilst those for NICs 1 & 2 flashh steadily (not an activity flicker), then after a while all the lights go out then the sequence restarts. I cannot detect and audible signals, the POST does not take place and a connected screen does not come out of power saving mode. Basically nothing. I have swapped various DIMMS - all is well again after removing the CPU's but can't imagine one would be faulty. Any suggestions?
6 REPLIES 6
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Re: BL685c CPU addition problem - dead server

Hello Iain,

The First thing I will suggest is to upgrade the FIRMWARE.
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/27227.html

If thats done, Try the NEW 2 processors instead of the old ones... & see if it will boot.

Any red led on the system board ?

Regards.
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

And the recommended memory positioning is 2 dimms per processor in the slots furthest away from the CPU sockets.

I've just had a similar problem, getting HP support to investigate.
Iain Radford
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the responses. The firmware is at the latest version. Did think about just trying the new CPUs in Slot 1 & 2 but didn't have time initially.
Hos do you see if there is a red LED illuminated on the system board when the blade is in an enclosure?? This is a C Class which does not have a diagnostic station so cannot be powered up outside of the enclosure. Do I insert it with its cover off and nothing in the adjacent right hand bay so I can see the lights?
As for the memory positioning all the dimm slots are full with the same type & capacity of dimm so the positioning doesn't really apply.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Ofcourse you cannot see any LED while the server is in the enclosure. I was referring to a Diag station. try the new processor on the slot 1,2 & let us know !!

Regards.
Iain Radford
Occasional Contributor

Will do Happy Dude. I am correct in thinking there is no diag station for the C Class aren't I?
It'll be a little while before I can test this as the server is "live" so I have to follow a change process.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

"I am correct in thinking there is no diag station for the C Class aren't I? " >> YES !!

Not yet !

:)