1753456 Members
5163 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BL860c Change boot ROM from B to A for firmware upgrade

Otis Stockstill
Advisor

BL860c Change boot ROM from B to A for firmware upgrade

I'm attempting to upgrade the system firmware on some BL860c's from 3.01 to 4.21. I'm using the external CD/DVD drive method rather than doing it from a drive.

The question is, when the upgrade is done the EFI FW and System FW rom A is different than rom B. Currently System FW rom B is the boot rom, and I want to make rom A the boot rom so I can upgrade that one as well.

There used to be some info on how to somewhere in the ITRC but I can't find it.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction?
7 REPLIES 7
SycoChihuahua

I would like to know this too. I am having a issue and would like to go to the old rom to see if my issue clears.
SycoChihuahua

From the EFI Shell

fwconfig enable A < - Being the ROM to swithc to.

Enable system firmware image A and reboot? [y/n] y
Restarting system..
AnkorLLC

Thanks Chihuahua for that info. I used the command and was able to see that the ROM had switched to ROM A after restart (We had been using ROM B).

My reason for switching is same as OP, to upgrade firmware on ROM A. When running the procedure, it will not update ROM A, and tries to update the Alternate ROM B only. ROM B is already up to current, so it says n upgrade needed. Could ROM A somehow be locked in read-only mode?
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

This behavior is by design and to allow you to recover in case the new f/w image you just burned causes an issue. You can then quickly revert back by switching ROMs.

There is no reason really to keep both ROM A and B in sync.

HTH

Kris
AnkorLLC

OK thank you. I will stay with the upgraded ROM B in service and quit while I'm ahead!
SycoChihuahua

Later when you upgrade again, you will want to upgrade A and leave B. You will go through this back and forth. Sometimes there may be a bad rom or the rom has an incompatibility with your configuration you can quickly go back.

I'm glad this work for you.
AnkorLLC

So basically, I should run the next upgrade with ROM B active, and it will automatically go an update the alternate ROM A?

That would make sense that it updates the other one, the one not in use.