4104 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BSOD on BL460c

Robert Walker_8
Valued Contributor

Gday again,

No the HPCISS2.SYS didnt fix my problem. Have been suggested by HP to look at the following:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00747687&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Although we dont run with the Scalable networking pack nor are our servers SP1 (SP2 now).

They suggested to put STORPORT.SYS V4368 on with HPCISS2.SYS driver - so will try that.

I recall TOE stuff sometime back being bad for data corruption - so this may be back to bite?

Micro$oft indicated that the HPCISS2.SYS driver suggested by me before is for a different problem and that HP are still working on a private fix which is under test.

Robert.
Robert Walker_8
Valued Contributor

Gday MR.Bakken,

Although very early days I have one server which is running STORPORT 5.2.3790.4368, PSP8.15b, FW updated to latest avail and it has HPCISS2.SYS at 6.14.0.32.

Its early days on this but may be worth looking at?

It crashed regularly but last time on the 1st Feb, Got done up as above on 3rd and so far hasnt missed a beat (touch wood)!

Robert.

Robert Walker_8
Valued Contributor

Gday to one and all,

Well so much for the next HP solution - lasted 3 days!

Question though, when you guys get the BSOD does the crash process freeze? We have our systems set for 10 mins ASR and this is being activated, however the dump process itself is done within a minute. If we turn ASRs off then the server never comes back until manually reset.

Robert.
fmags24
Advisor

I also have a case open with MS and they also pointed me in the direction of the SNP installed with SP2 They advised running this hotfix.
948496 An update to turn off default SNP features is available for Windows Server 2003-based and Small Business Server 2003-based computers
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;948496

I have installed it on 10 blades and so far so good but it usually takes a couple of weeks for these machines to BSOD. I'll keep my fingers crossed!!!
fmags24
Advisor

Hi Robert,

SNP is included in SP2 for windows.
Melissa O'Brien
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the update. We have had KB948496 installed for 9 months and still have the blue screens.

This IS intriguing though. Method 1 of the KB article shows steps to ensure RSS and TCPOffload is disabled. I always disable those through HP's Network Configuration Utility and not through the Windows Network Connections Applet. I just checked some of my servers and through the Windows applet it's enabled! The registry settings as per Method three are all disabled though.

If you check your Network Adapter through Windows, does it should as disabled? How about in HP's Network Config Utility?

Do you use NIC teaming?

We've installed many network drivers in the last year - maybe it re-enables TOE and RSS and it isn't updated in the HP's NetConfig GUI?
Melissa O'Brien
Frequent Advisor

Robert,
re: your question about ASR

Our standard is to disable ASR in the BIOS and rely on the Windows setting for Automatic Reboots.

HP and Microsoft have requested we disable the Windows "Automatically Restart" setting to ensure we get complete crash dumps for their analysis. So yes, we have to manually start the machines back up through ILO.
fmags24
Advisor

We do not use NIC Teaming.

NIC CARD = HP NC373i
Driver bxnd52x.sys 4.6.14.0

In Windows
Receive Side Scaling = ENABLED
(No option for TCP/IP Offload)
IPv4 Large Send Offload = ENABLED
IPv4 Checksum Offload = Tx/Rx ENABLED

HP Network Config
TCP Offload Engine = ENABLED
Receive-Side Scaling = DISABLED

All mentioned registry settings are set to value "0"
Melissa O'Brien
Frequent Advisor

Thanks.

Interesting that your settings are completely different, right after installing KB948496.

I hope the registry entry disables everything, dispite the NIC or NetConfig settings. I hope your BSODs go away.

Have you changed your ILO version recently? What ILO and OA firmware version are you at?
Robert Walker_8
Valued Contributor

Gday,

Well still having problems, have been advised by HP and MS to turn of PSP agents for Drive Array Information.

This is under Control Panel, HP Management Agents, select Services - Drive Array Info from left and remove.

I found that the agents didnt unload so a reboot is probably in order.

HP are now asking for all crahsdumps so busy writing a script to automate the compilation of crash dumps to a common spot along with running HP/MS diag tools to a common spot as well.

So far although only a day or two - all is good :)

Robert.

PS: Thanks Melissa regarding ASRs - HP/MS suggested turning them off - in the end I set it to 10mins more than long enough for a dump to complete. We have Windows doing auto restart and the BSODs dont get restarted without ASR.