New Discussion юеВ

Blade BL460c Start Smart

SOLVED
Go to solution
jamesvdm
Advisor

Blade BL460c Start Smart

Hi

When I start a blade with Smart Start with the intention of installing Windows Server 2003, the server loads the Smart Start files (% progress bar), but as soon as it reaches 100% the screen goes black and nothing happens until the server is reset. I am doing this via iLO.

What's more, if I install Server 2003 without SmartStart, then install the PSP, the server will no longer boot - hangs at loading Windows progress bar.

Any idea how I can avoid this.

Thanks,

James
7 REPLIES 7
Phillip Thayer
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Re: Blade BL460c Start Smart

James,

Make sure you download and use the most current version of the smart start CD. Sometimes there can be a specific mezzanine card or a blade interconnect module that is not supported except on the latest smart start CD.

What version of firmware are you running on the blade also? Make sure all the firmware on yoiur blade enclosure is up to date as well. This is critical in managing the blades properly.

Phil
Once it's in production it's all bugs after that.
jamesvdm
Advisor

Hi

I am using StartSmart 7.92 which appears to be the latest. All iLO 2 firmware is at 1.5 which is also the latest and the OA is at 2.10.

Is there anything left to update?

Thanks for your help so far.

James

Try downloading Firmware Cd 8.00, upgrade the firmware of the server and then retry with smart start.

Also check for file corruption with md5 hashes.
Terence Tsao
Frequent Advisor

Hi James,
I would like to make sure you can install w2k3 os int BL460 without smartstart CD ?
If yes,you can update drivers and agents one by one from smartstart CD. Maybe we can find out what's wrong with it.

And is there any other HBA installed in BL460 ? If yes remove it in advanced.

Regards.
Terence
jamesvdm
Advisor

Andrea:

I will try that as soon as I get a chance and report back results.

Terence:

The Windows install works fine, but after I install the drivers using the StartSmart CD the server will no longer boot. I may try installing them one by one as a last resort because it will take a while.

Thanks,

James
jamesvdm
Advisor

Firmware CD 8 sorted it out, thanks for all replies.

James
jamesvdm
Advisor

OK that worked for two blades but I have another two of the exact same model that won't load the firmware CD or the SS CD.

Both CDs on both blades have the same symptoms - boot to loading screen of either Start Smart or Firmware Update, reach 100%, ten show black screen until rebooted.

Any ideas?

James