4065 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Blade Center & MultiPathing in Windows 2003

toeknee
Occasional Contributor

Blade Center & MultiPathing in Windows 2003

Hi,

I am trying to set up a blade system with multipathing. The OS is Windows 2003 R2 Service Pack 2. I have 150GB slice of disk for this SAN connection. The Windows system does see the SAN Shares. But the multipathing is not working. Instead of seeing 1 path. I see 4 paths.
It is a BladeSystem c7000 Enclosure with a ProLiant BL460c G1. I have a QLogic QMH2462 4Gb FC HBA in the blade system. The drives on the blade are showing up as not being initialized. Should I initialize them and then they would be seen as one?

Thanks in advance...
7 REPLIES 7
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

What storage You are using? you need to install MPIO DSM software to Windows which enables multipathing.

Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
toeknee
Occasional Contributor

Hi.. Yes I have HP MPIO DSM Manager installed. When I go into Computer Management and look it does not show the disks. The disks appear on the Disk management selection. But shows the disks as being Offline.
It is a Sun SAN.

Thank
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

You might want to check from storage vendor website if there is a MPIO for your storage available.

Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

1. Have only one physical path to the SAN
2. Verify with SUN what the correct QLA2462 driver & firmware should be for W2003 Sp2
3. Once you verify the blade can see one LUN on the SAN, install the SUN-recommended multipathing software.

You say "instead of seeing 1 path..." so do you have just one path to the SAN? If so do you see just one path when no multipathing SW is installed under Windows?
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

No Terri, He says "Instead of seeing 1 path. I see 4 paths"

So just install the SUN MPIO package and uninstall the HP one.

Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Yes, he is saying "instead of seeing 1 path I see 4 paths". He is not saying "instead of seeing 2 paths I see 4 paths".
I want to verify that he can see (or did see) 1 path when only one path is presented. With no multipathing software.
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

by "one path" he means the multipathed disk. It's wrong to say so but I think he means it that way.