BladeSystem - General
1753631 Members
5499 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Blade Server gone bad after update to ILO 4 2.80. Now it is taking other blades with h

SOLVED
Go to solution
AleksandarPeev
Advisor

Blade Server gone bad after update to ILO 4 2.80. Now it is taking other blades with him

Hi y'all,

I have had a totally weird occurence of a blade outage.

The blade is a 460c gen9 server.... still under support.

I upgraded the blade ILO4 to v 2.80 from a not so distant ILO4 v2.75

Upon uprade the blade had become faulty and it was showing as <Unknown> in the OA (the OA is running v4.96).
However the server that is a vmware esxi host chugged on with no issues.

Thinking that maybe if I powered down the server poweecycle it, it would recover.

Bad assumption.

The blade remained in the Unknown state.

I tried the RESET SERVER cli command.... once, twice, three times... did not help.

As this blade is part of a cluster running tight on ressources I got another 460c gen9 from another cluster and swapped the places of the servers.

I honestly was hoping that both of the servers are going to come alive and happily resume their workloads.
Oh how wrong I was.

Now both of the servers are in a faulty state and no amount of RESET SERVER helps.

Remark: Both of the servers are in a different blade enclosure, non linked and runing the same ILO and OA version.

I would love to find out if there is way to troubleshoot this state

4 REPLIES 4
simoncorner
Advisor

Re: Blade Server gone bad after update to ILO 4 2.80. Now it is taking other blades with h

If you can downgrade the blade to ilo v2.75, that would be a good test.

Also, what version of BIOS do you have? If there's an upgrade available, try installing that as well.

AleksandarPeev
Advisor

Hi thanks for the reply!

Regretfully the servers have become totally unreachable.
I have no ILO ... no nothing on the servers.... they appear just faulty on the OA interface. The ILO does not pick up an ip address ... it does not register at all

simoncorner
Advisor

If the VMware is still running, then you can downgrade the iLO from there.

Alternatively, the only option is to raise a case with HPE and they will replace the motherboard of the blade.

AleksandarPeev
Advisor
Solution

Hi,

The servers have been shut down. So no option there.

I will contact HPE support for replacement parts..

Grateful for the advice.