1753758 Members
4954 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Blade reported an abnormally low power requirement

Felipettw
Occasional Collector

Blade reported an abnormally low power requirement

We have the ProLiant BL465c Gen8, BladeSystem c3000 Enclosure.  Firmware 2.10.

We have 4 Bays, which on Bay 2 is located our Backup server. Last month the fans of our server started running at almost full speed (85~98%) and checking the HP BladeSystem Onboard Administrator, we noticed that the Power Allocated to our Backup server jumped from 290 Watts to 480 Watts getting the fans to run at that high speed, with that we shut it down.

Now every time we try to turn it on, the fans goes at high speed with Power Allocated still at 480 Watts, the temperature sensor isn't working as well as it says "Unable to read temperature data". We also can't check it using the iLO Remote Management as it does not connect, but we can connect to it using the Terminal server thru Remote Control. We've let it run like that for almost 30 minutes just to see if it could get back to normal, but no success, since then we are not risking to keep it up to do our Backups because we do not know if it can get damaged.

Our others servers are working pretty fine, no problem and fans at its normal speed and there is no log on Onboard Administrator. For now its turned off, with the following warning:

Device Bay Information

I've tried to find out this problem but couldn't find anything regarding to this server, so if need more info let me know.

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

I hope all is well.

I would suggest updating the Onboard Administrator firmware with the latest ( if Onboard Administrator is running 2.10 firmware) and follow the below link.

HPE ProLiant Server Blades - Compatibility with HPE BladeSystem c7000 and c3000 Enclosures and Firmware

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=mmr_sf-EN_US000050596

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Felipettw
Occasional Collector

Oh thanks for replying.

In that case is there any problem if I update the Firmware from 2.10 directly to the latest? Or I gotta update it gradually?

EDIT.: I just found out some info that I might have informed wrongly on the first post.

Rack Firmware

Firmware Bay 2

Firmware Bay 3Different from Bay 2, Bay 3, 4 and 5 has the Power Mngt Controller at 3.3.

OA Firmware

Updating the OA Firmware is still what gotta be done, right? I see its at 4.40.

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

I would suggest you follow the suggested customer advisory.

If the firmware is very old, we never recommend update firmware with the latest.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo