1752723 Members
7124 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Blades OS?

elijah-boy
Occasional Contributor

Blades OS?

Please be patient with me - complete newbe...

We're running VNWare ESX on blade servers - proliant bl460c g6 series. Root password appears to be lost by previous admin. He said he used generic one which doesn't work. There is a chance it works - VMWare by default dessables root access over ssh and this has to be uncommented in ssh config file.
I'd like to do that, but when I greb laptop and connect it directly to blade server over com1 connection I reciive a prompt that doesn't appear to be linux os that is actual ESX platform.
So the dummy question is - what am I connected to? Do blade servers have some kinf od propriatary OS that is running on the hardware?

Thanks.
Elijah.
6 REPLIES 6
Ken Krubsack
Trusted Contributor

ESX is a custom OS based on a some-flavor of Linux kernel. The only difference between the blades and a rack-mount server (or a tower for that matter) is the physical layout. There's nothing special going on there.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

VMware ESX is NOT Linux. VMware ESX is a proprietary hypervisor based on VMware technology. In addition to the hypervisor, ESX installs an administrative console that operates in a special virtual machine and that administrative console runs Linux. So, YES, what you see is Linux, but it is a VM; what is running on the bare metal is the ESX hypervisor.

I actually wouldn't expect anything to appear on COM1 unless a ttyS0 was explicitly set up. What you need to do is log in to iLO2 over the network connection via OA. You can access a remote console just as if you were in front of it physically. Alternatively, grab an SUV cable that came with the enclosure and connect a USB keyboard and monitor to it.
elijah-boy
Occasional Contributor

The thing that drives me nuts a nit is that when I connect with console cable to blade server it give a prompt that show to things that you usually don't see in linux:
1. It says Firmware Version 2.6
2. Ig gives a hostname in propmp GLOBALHPBC10A2 which is not the hostname set on the linux bux

(I'll keep calling it linux just for the convinience sake)

Thanks.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

How are you connecting to the blade? Via the 'S' (serial) connector on the SUV cable? Or to a DB-9 on the back of the enclosure. If the latter, you're talking to OA, not the blade.
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

how to change forgotten root password on ESX

1. reboot the esx server

2. at boot menu time type: esx -s then ENTER

3. at the prompt type your new root password

4. Press CTRL+D

mikap
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Hey Elijah-boy,

It might help a lot if you attach a screen shot of what you are seeing.

Dave