108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Blades not powering up

SOLVED
Go to solution
johnmaag
Occasional Advisor

Blades not powering up

First I want to say I am not a company. I am just a guy playing around with some old equipment.

I have an old C7000 with a couple of 460 G7's. I initially set everything up with two 3120X's and everythign worked fine. As time went by, I got interested in having 10G presented to each blade so I replaced the two 3120X's with two VC FLEX 10 modules because I thought they did 10Gbit.. I found out they did nto do 10Gbit but also one of my baldes did not like the flex modules but I could never figure out why it did not work so I gave up and bought one 6120XG.

With the 6120XG in the chassis, the blades will not power up. I put the Flex 10 moduels back in and the blades powered up so it seems to be related to the 6120XG but no idea why and do nto know what to search for.

Any help would be appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@johnmaag wrote:

First I want to say I am not a company. I am just a guy playing around with some old equipment.

I have an old C7000 with a couple of 460 G7's. I initially set everything up with two 3120X's and everythign worked fine. As time went by, I got interested in having 10G presented to each blade so I replaced the two 3120X's with two VC FLEX 10 modules because I thought they did 10Gbit.. I found out they did nto do 10Gbit but also one of my baldes did not like the flex modules but I could never figure out why it did not work so I gave up and bought one 6120XG.

With the 6120XG in the chassis, the blades will not power up. I put the Flex 10 moduels back in and the blades powered up so it seems to be related to the 6120XG but no idea why and do nto know what to search for.

Any help would be appreciated.

The Virtual Connect Flex-10 Ethernet Modules do support 10GbE and more options such as splitting a flex-NIC into 4 ports of varying speed to equal 10Gb

maybe a defective 6120?  Mismatched firmware among the devices can also cause issues

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
johnmaag
Occasional Advisor

@Jimmy Vance wrote:

irtual Connect Flex-10 Ethernet Modules do support 10GbE and more options such as splitting a flex-NIC into 4 ports of varying speed to equal 10Gb

maybe a defective 6120?  Mismatched firmware among the devices can also cause issues

It doesn't seem to be defective. I can connect to the 6120 from OA and it shows active ports on the blades I have populated plus it allows me to make config changes

I did upgrade the firware for the two Onboard Administrators because I thought it would be good but I kinda regret now. On two of the blades it is complaining about mismatched firmware but the serial number it mentions does not match the serial number of the blade. I have tried to get new firmware for the BL460's but I cannot find a way to download without having HPE support which I do not have access to.

johnmaag
Occasional Advisor

I am getting this message in the system log for all of my blades but the only thing I can find concerns OA firmware 4.6 that states to upgrade to 4.7 but I am on 4.7

OA: Device in bay #2 power delayed until VC profile is applied

johnmaag
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Virtual connect mode was still on. Solution was to go under

Enclosure Settings -> Reset Factory Defaults ->  Clear VC Mode

Once vc mode was disabled the blades powered up.