BladeSystem - General
1753808 Members
7626 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Boot from SAN Server 2008 R2 BL460C G6

Gomezcl

Boot from SAN Server 2008 R2 BL460C G6

I have configured my virtual connect profile, i have zoned my emulex fiber channel cards, added my hos to my HP eva 4400, presented the storage and have added it to boot from that eva for boot from SAN. When i start to load Windows Server 2008 R2 the disks are present but it will not install on the disks. It tells me "setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing systme partition. Any ideas???
6 REPLIES 6
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

Is your LUN in windows mode ? Could You paste your VC profile here.
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
Gomezcl

I rebooted my server and now it works! Go figure!
CLEB
Valued Contributor

Make sure you have the latest FW for your HBA.

The install process will see a disk but will not be able to use it unless it has been specified within the HBA boot configuration.

Also only have one path to the storage until the OS is installed with MPIO drivers.
donraj40

Can you please provide the solution for this issue ? I get the same error "Setup unable to create the new partition ...."

Hi,

Two days to found the solution :

Virtual connect + BL460c G7 (i think it's the same with G6 or Gen8) + Win2008R2.

I've created a profile and a single path zoning, but the windows installer continue to said "unbale to install a boot partition on this disk...your bios parameters are not ok...." (really : "setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing systme partition.")

So, my mistake is : my virtual connect profile.

Instead, your zoning for the target port (for exemple 5000:0000:1FE1:1008, LUN 1) must be the same in the virtual connect Boot parameters in the profile. Exacly the same.

I work with 3PAR, but it's the same way for EVA or P2000 arrays.

Loïc, from AntemetA, France
Casper42
Respected Contributor

Not sure it applies here because you had Emulex HBAs instead of CNAs, but I have seen numerous issues with Windows 2008 R2 installing onto the Emulex CNA used in the G7 and 554FLB on Gen8 when Multiple Paths are available during install.

Found that enabling just 1 path in the profile, doing the install, enabling MPIO properly in Windows, and then going back and enabling the other path in the Profile is often all that was needed to get things to work.
It seemed to be specific to Emulex and perhaps was something about their driver.