4108 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Boot from SAN with BL460c G1

NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Boot from SAN with BL460c G1

Hello,

Trying to boot from SAN on new blade server (new to blades altogether). We see the disk just fine in the Qlogic configuration tool (ctrl-q) and Virtual Connect shows everything is "good".

Windows 2003 install will not see Qlogic controller. OK...try SmartStart 8.00...it will not see the disk either. Read up on SmartStart and found out it does not support HBA boot...OK...trying to using virtual floppy with iLO and the QLogic drivers on the "VFD" file I created with WinImage...no worky. I press "S" button during setup when prompted, it asks me for a disk (which is virtually mounted) and I press "Enter". It flashes and then prompts me for the floppy again. I downloaded the "Boot from SAN" drivers for the QLogic mezzanine card from HP support, so I am pretty sure I have the right files on my floppy image.

Is this because there is no physical floppy in the blade server? Anyone know how to get around this?

thanks
Nelson Kaeppel
9 REPLIES 9
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

I think I solved my problem. I had to attach the virtual floppy in the iLO prior to running Windows setup. My guess is that it does not see the floppy after it is running if it was not there to begin with.

I do have another question along these lines. Can I use HP P2P Universal to migrate an older HP server (such as a DL380 G3) to a blade that does boot from SAN? In other words, does the P2P boot CD you run on the destination server have the QLogic drivers in it so that it will see the SAN drives?

Thanks
Nelson
hturker
Frequent Advisor

hi i wanted to update my QLogic mezzanine card from HP support,
i find driver but i cant update firmware because there is no os there how can i update driver
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=82540&prodTypeId=12169&objectID=c01053390
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Can you boot from the latest HP firmware CD?

Nelson
hturker
Frequent Advisor

no i didnot boot from firmware cd because i did not know the version of qlogic card
and i dont want to load all the firmware for a small one
cant we install that small part :(
hturker
Frequent Advisor

when i booted from the firmware cd it boots and i installed but the real problem is not this

i press f9 and configure boot controller to boot from my hba

Set up switch zoning

Create a LUN i gave the first lun

press ctrl Q and i gave the two ports four wwn of the eva
and then
i reboot and i start with linux askmethod and add qla2400 i see the hardrive boot i see the harddrive for 8 times
i give / /boot /swap on sda and reboot but it cant reboot

have you got any idea
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

It appears, so far, the HP P2P Universal 3.5 sees the QLogic HBA and is allowing a test P2P migration to it...so I think I answered my own question again. I guess we will see if it actually boots after the migration completes. But at least I got beyond the first part.

Nelson
Digex
Regular Advisor

I would suggest using RDP to automate the boot from SAN. Its very fast.
CLEB
Valued Contributor

Nelson:

Has the P2P Universal worked for you?

I am looking at migrating servers from DAS to SAN booting.

hturker:

Only zone one port on your server HBA to one port on your SAN. The installation is probably getting confused as it sees too many paths. You can add the extra WWN's once you have your OS running.

Thanks
Carl
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

P2Proliant has not worked out to well for us and we are going to start using an alternative solution from another vendor.

Nelson