1752808 Members
5904 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Boot from SAN with Flex-10, LeftHand SAN, and BL490c

Bill Hallinan
Occasional Advisor

Boot from SAN with Flex-10, LeftHand SAN, and BL490c

Is it possible at this time to boot a BL490c from a LeftHand SAN in an enclosure configured with a VC Flex-10 interconnect?

If not, will it be possible with the next release of VC Flex-10?
10 REPLIES 10
Niels Vejrup Pedersen
Respected Contributor

Re: Boot from SAN with Flex-10, LeftHand SAN, and BL490c

Not possible, since there is not iscsi hba bios on the nc532i nics.

You would need the QMH4062 iscsi hba for this config.

Regards
Bill Hallinan
Occasional Advisor

If one or the other NIC is enabled for network boot in BIOS, then upon rebooting one can press control-s to configure the NIC bios for iSCSI initiators.

What is confusing is this document (July 2009). It indicates that boot from san is possible, but not with a Flex-10 interconnect. Has the inability of the Flex-10 to allow blades to boot from a LeftHand SAN been resolved as of this date?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00846707/c00846707.pdf
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

Bill,
Its nothing to do with the Flex-10 Interconnect. It's that the Flex-10 capable NICs cant do it.
I believe you can purchase the iSCSI boot NIC as mentioned above in a mezzanine slot and connect that to a VC 1/10 module and then stack the VC 1/10 thru the Flex-10.
Not checked the support matrix but I dont see anything wrong with that.
Vincent Berger
HPE Pro

Sorry Adrian, I beg to differ. The NC532i/m do have iSCSI hardware capability but we lack the capability to turn it on when a Flex-10 port is carved into 4 FlexNICs. This is still true as of today.
Regarding the QMH4062, note that you need the hardware version launched yesterday with a part number ending in -B22 to make it work with Virtual Connect (any model)
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

Vincent - you are the one I would ask if I am stuck so I concur to you.
I knew the answer was no - just wrong on the reason.
Bill Hallinan
Occasional Advisor

Thank you all for your comments. Vince, do you know if there are any firmware upgrades in the works to Flex-10 to allow iSCSI Boot from SAN? Also, if a one Flex-Nic was configured with one porta at full 10 GB band width, would this might work for boot from SAN? I'll try it for grins and see what happens.
Bill Hallinan
Occasional Advisor

I tried with multiple configuratons and came close, but no cigar. I'll install an SSD for now and will update this thread if we meet with any success in future attempts.
Vincent Berger
HPE Pro

Yes, that's normal: as soon as you connect a FlexNIC, even at 10Gb, the other 3 FlexNICs will be present even if unconnected and that's enough to prevent turning on the iSCSI function. It's only when the Flex-10 port falls back to a single 1Gb NIC because it's connected to a 1Gb interconnect that you can turn iSCSI on.
For the other part of your question, I'd suggest you contact your HP representative if you want to discuss future.
TarunJain
Respected Contributor

Hi Bill,
That would be very helpful.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo
src="/html/assets/hpe_banner_SME_signature.p ng">