BladeSystem - General
1748185 Members
4021 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: C-Class Enclosure Power Meter - Massive Spike

jdbarney

C-Class Enclosure Power Meter - Massive Spike

I own two C-Class enclosures. One of them has recently developed the annoying habit of "spiking" in the power meter section of the OA. I average about 4200 watts, and my max capacity is 8200 watts (so I'm running at about 50% of capacity). When the spike happens, it claims I am using 17300 watts (more than twice what the system is capable of). Strange thing - nothing actually goes wrong. All my blades stay up and running. OA clears itself and all is fine (until it happens again).

I've already updated to latest OA firmware 2.02. My BL460c blades are also running the latest BIOS update. ILO2 version is 1.35. The OA and BIOS updates did not fix the issue. Both enclosures are running all the same code levels, and the other enclosure does not have this problem (or at least I have not seen it happen yet). Thoughts? I'm on hold with HP support.
5 REPLIES 5
jdbarney

An update. A local HP tech came out today. We were going to change out all 6 power supplies, but the parts did not arrive. So he moved forward with the other half of his plan. We changed out the sleeve that the OA modules sit inside. Reported power consumption has been stable for three hours now. We will watch it over the weekend. Tech will be back out on Monday to review the situation. We will replace the power supplies if the problem is still happening.
jdbarney

After replacing the OA sleeve last Friday, I decided to have a look at the power meter stats this morning. Here are the readings for the last 24 hours ...

Average Wattage 3593
Minimum Wattage 3559
Maximum Wattage 3702

Keeping my fingers crossed - we may have solved the problem.
Cederberg
Honored Contributor

Did the power stay stable now that it has been a few days? I have the same problem with my newly accuried chassi. And all the HP supports thinks is that it's something wrong with the OA cards.. In some way they are right if your problem is solved.
jdbarney

Yes. The power has remained stable. I would recommend replacing the OA sleeve. If that does not work, then replace both OA modules. The sleeve is hot-swappable, but you have to remove both OA modules to get it out. This will make the entire enclosure go into a "I lost my brains" state where all fans ramp up to full speed. Don't panic - perfectly normal when no OA is present. All blades will keep running, and access to network and storage is not interrupted. Takes just a few minutes. You will lose your historical power graph data too (just as you would anytime you reboot an OA). Hope that helps. Let us know if it solves your problem too.
Cederberg
Honored Contributor

Hey.

I had a HP tech come out and change the onboard administrator sleeve but it didn't fix the problem.. The chassi still reports higher capacity on the powersupplys and like 10 times the capacity. In power meter graphics I have around 65000 watts AC as a peak and avarage is around 53000 watts AC. And the strange thing is it cant be the powerlines because we have another chassi connected to the same PDU and we ruled out the powersupplys to as there where no change when we tried to remove one powersupply at the time and looked for change.