5966 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

C3000 Blade Connecting to Storage

PepperMashay
Occasional Contributor

C3000 Blade Connecting to Storage

Hi All

I have a c3000 with BL460c blades i also have a HP DL380 G5 Server with windows storage server on, i would like to be able for the blades to connect to this over fibre as a cheaper solution to SAN, could sombody explain what i would need to be able to acheive this, what hardware would i need on both devices and possible configuration.

Thank You

John
8 REPLIES 8
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

Re: C3000 Blade Connecting to Storage

hi,

its depend which type of disk do you like to use, if the storage should be redudant, or just only a simple storage, or you like to share it to another servers ....., and also how many servers will be connected.

for simpel SAN, you need a SAN switch + Storage and on the Blade server FC card

check this link from HP.

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/storage/bladesystem/index.html

you can use also storages form EMC / HITACHI.....

mikap
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

on this site yyo will find the documentation from HP about SAN.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&locale=en_US&docIndexId=179911&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=406734

lot of docus are also from other Storage vendors.

mikap
PepperMashay
Occasional Contributor

Hi Thanks for the reply and excuse my ignorance but the link you have posted for the storage soulutions i take it i would not need any of the because i already have a dl380G5 with 6 146 SAS 10k Drives in in a raid 5 config, so i just want the blades to talk to this server the fastest way possible.

John
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

ok,

you could use iSCSI protocol, if its supported.

mikap
PepperMashay
Occasional Contributor

that souns good but if i wanted the iscsi to talk over fibre and not etherenet what would i nedd to get for both the blades and the DL380G5

thanks again for your help
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

PepperMashay
Occasional Contributor

thanks again for you help i am totally new to the whole fibre thing so i will explain what i have done and maby you could shed some light

I have a c3000 blade enclosure running BL460C blades on one of the blades i am running HYPER V virtulisation. I also have the HP DL380G5 with the 146 disks in.
The blade connects to this by ISCSI the images for the hyper v machine reside on the DL380 and it is all quite slow, so i wanted to speed up communication between the blade and the DL380.

John
JonathanT
Frequent Advisor

Load DataCore's SanMelody on the DL380 G5 and it will instantly turn it into an iSCSI/FC SAN. I believe they have a small version that is relatively inexpensive pricing.

http://www.datacore.com/products/prod_SANmelody_buy.asp