1752492 Members
5292 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: C3000 "device identification data error"

Luca
Frequent Advisor

C3000 "device identification data error"

Recently a SB40c associated with a BL460c failed completely - it just died. The OA reported Management controller not responding. Anyhow HP sent us a logic board with backplane for the SB40 and we replaced it. Now the OA reports management controller OK but "device identification data error" and does not power on the blade. We tried reseating the SB40c, tried plugging it in another bay alone and with the server, rebooting the OA, power cycling the whole c3000, but nothing.
What could be the problem? Could it be another defective logic board?
13 REPLIES 13
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

What firmware is the OA at?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Luca
Frequent Advisor

I forgot to mention it's the latest (3.21). I also tried reflashing the same firmware version.
Bhavin-Desai
Advisor

What is the firmware on the SB40c and the controller in it ?...
Luca
Frequent Advisor

This is the information we could retrieve from the OA:

Powered Off
Status Degraded

Device Information Blade Type Storage Blade
Manufacturer [Unknown]
Product Name [Unknown]
Part Number [Unknown]
System Board Spare Part Number [Unknown]
Serial Number [Unknown]
ROM Version 1.20

The controller is a P400 double channel but we don't know the firmware on the HBA as we cannot access it.

Additionally, an "update show" from the CLI does not list the blade so a rom upgrade is not possible.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Does the server power on, without the SB40c?

If so.
Remove server
Remove SB.
Waite 30 secs.
Insert SB.
Waite a few minutes.
Insert server.

Wich bays do you use?

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Could could try to upgrade the server BIOS / FW. If not allready on latest FW.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

Luca
Frequent Advisor

It is not a server problem. The server works fine with or without the SB40c inserted. It has always worked fine - bay 1 the BL460 and in bay 2 the SB40c.
The OA reports the same error if we install it in bay 6, with or without a server inserted.

We did all the possible tests, powering off everything, only server in bay 1, removing server in bay 1 and reinserting and vice versa. The "device identification data error" from what I recall and reading other information about the c3000 is a rather problematic error, possibly related to the logic board and P400 firmware revision not recognizing it properly, or the logic board ROM version is too old for the P400 firmware for ex, but this is just my speculation.

Unfortunately, the OA does NOT list the SB40 using CLI so I cannot issue any update on the logic board ROM version. We also have an ultrium tape blade which gets listed fine, so the midplane seems fine as the rest of the infrastructure is ok.

I suspect it being a logic board problem or an incomaptibility between the revision installed and the HBA which we migrated from the old logic board.
Luca
Frequent Advisor

Further insight can be found here:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/HP-BladeSystem-Server-Blades/C7000-amp-BL460-quot-Device-Identification-Data-Error-quot/td-p/1153544

It seems that there is a checksum error in the SB40c FRU (logic board) - something doesn't add up.
Luca
Frequent Advisor

We finally got another mainboard logic and additionally another P400 replacement sent to us.
We tried replacing first the P400, but nothing changed.
Once we replaced the logic mainboard, the SB40c was correctly recognized and partnered with the adjacent server as usual and booted correctly. All data was intact.

So it turned out to be a defective logic/mainboard replacement as suspected.

Case closed.