Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C7000 Enclosure Fan Firmware

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

C7000 Enclosure Fan Firmware

Allan had a c7000 fan question:

I have a customer with a new (Using Remarketing Components) C7000 Blade Enclosure.

The update show   shows 2 different firmware versions for the Fans. I tried an Update Device and a Force Update Device using CLI commands. Both showed successful but the version did not appear to change. A call to the Response Center came up with nothing except the suggestions, if it’s not broken don’t fix it, Update the OA to 3.32 which it already is and silence. A Google search came up with a suggestion that the Fans may be from different vendors requiring different firmware version requirement but the examples online and mine don’t match. The Google search showed fans designated as Models 200 & 200a, mine are all Model 200.

Has anyone seen this? Can anyone confirm one way of the other if in fact the Fans are coming from different manufacturers? Any info would be greatly appreciated so I can report my findings back to my customer.

From Monty:

The OA has always carried firmware for enclosure components (fan, power supply, OA Tray and xMIC) inside the OA firmware image.

The OA firmware has logic to match a component FW image to the right component.  Yes, we have multiple designs of the same Model fans, and different fans will have different firmware versions.

If you have the latest OA firmware – it covers all the fans that are shipping.  Your “show update” CLI command appears to have word wrap issues as the column header and rows are missing characters (see my example below).  I suspect you have the wrong terminal mode and all the columns past 80 are being printed on top of each other.

Device  Name                                          Location Version    NewVersion
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TRAY  | BladeSystem c7000 Onboard Administrator Tray  | -     | 1.7      | 1.7     
LCD   | BladeSystem c7000 Insight Display             | -     | 2.5.3    | 2.5.3   
FAN   | Active Cool 200 Fan                           | 1     | 2.9.4    | 2.9.4   
FAN   | Active Cool 200 Fan                           | 2     | 2.9.4    | 2.9.4   
FAN   | Active Cool 200 Fan                           | 3     | 2.9.4    | 2.9.4   
FAN   | Active Cool 200 Fan                           | 4     | 2.9.4    | 2.9.4   
FAN   | Active Cool 200 Fan                           | 5     | 2.9.4    | 2.9.4   
FAN   | Active Cool 200 Fan                           | 6     | 2.9.4    | 2.9.4   
FAN   | Active Cool 200 Fan                           | 7     | 2.9.4    | 2.9.4   
FAN   | Active Cool 200 Fan                           | 8     | 2.9.4    | 2.9.4   
FAN   | Active Cool 200 Fan                           | 9     | 2.9.4    | 2.9.4   
FAN   | Active Cool 200 Fan                           | 10    | 2.9.4    | 2.9.4   

We have never required the user to update the fan firmware, so those last two columns of “Version” and “New Version” have always matched and do not require any action.  If you had an older version of OA firmware that did not carry a firmware image for a newer fan, that show update output would have “----“ in the New Version column.

Bottom line, you only need to consider whether the current version and new version match.  If you see a mismatch, you would need to run the update command to synchronize with the new version.

Hope that helps.

Any other suggestions of comments?