4726 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: C7000 HP GbE2c trunk to ASA

Stefan - Virtualism
Occasional Advisor

C7000 HP GbE2c trunk to ASA

Hi
I am trying to setup VLANs on the HP GbE2c trunking to an ASA.

I've added the access port in to the VLAN using "pvid 100" and setup the trunk port by enabling "tag" and have added the port in to VLAN 100.

The ASA is setup with sub-interface similar to this:
interface Ethernet 0/1.100
vlan 100
security-level 100
ip address 10.100.0.1

I also have the default ethernet 0/1 port setup with an IP address and no VLAN settings which works fine, until I enable the trunk. After the trunk is enabled the 10.1.x.x network and 10.100.x.x network are both unreachable.

I've spent many hours on this, any help greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards
Stefan
10 REPLIES 10
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello Stefan,

which port(s) did you put into the VLAN on the GbE2? Have you set the Port on the ASA to trunk?

Regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Stefan - Virtualism
Occasional Advisor

Hello Patrick,

I added port 14 (server) and port 22 (trunk to ASA) in to the VLAN. I didn't set the port to trunk on the ASA as I was under the impression it is automatic trunk when sub-interface/VLAN is configured?

Thanks and regards
Stefan
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello Stefan,

you should set the PVID for port 14 to 100, don't enable tagging on this port. Change the PVID of port 22 to 100 and enable tagging. Put port 14 and 22 to VLAN 100 on the GbE2. Set the port on the ASA to trunk, create VLAN 100 on the ASA and put the port, to which port 22 of the GbE2 is connected, into this VLAN. Then it should work.

Regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Stefan - Virtualism
Occasional Advisor

What if I have other VLANs on other ports, for example 16 VLANs, one VLAN per port. Setting the pvid (default VLAN?) to 100 on port 22 will still work fine with other VLANs?

Thanks
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello Stefan,

yes, no problem so far. The PVID is set automatically to the VLAN ID to which the port belongs.

Regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Stefan - Virtualism
Occasional Advisor

I don't understand... the trunk port will be member of many VLANs so pvid wouldn't work? Or is pvid only set on access ports, trunk port to ASA is set as tagged and added to all VLANs?

Thanks
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello Stefan,

the PVID is automatically set to the VLAN ID to which the port belongs. This is only for interest on access ports. If tagging is enabled for a port and this port doesn't belong to any VLAN, the PVID is used for tagging frames. You can "ignore" the PVID setting for the port 22 in you setup.

You must put port 22 into all VLANs, that should be reached by this port. The port on the ASA must set to trunk and must be member of the sames VLANs. On the port to which the server is connected tagging must be disabled, the port must be member of the VLAN, PVID is automatically set to this VLAN ID. Hope this helps. :)

Regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Stefan - Virtualism
Occasional Advisor

Hi Patrick

Thanks I think that's covered it. Will test over the next couple of days and report back.

Regards
Stefan
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello Stefan,

feel free to ask if something doesn't work as expected. :)

You can assign points for answer which were helpful for you.

Regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick