1753389 Members
7151 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: C7000 Strange Hardware Problem!

SteveCrang

C7000 Strange Hardware Problem!

Hi

We replaced the midplane on one of our C7000 enclosures to try and resolve a problem where none of the Virtual Connect modules were visible via the OA.

However, when the enclosure was powered up, we saw all sorts of errors on Insight Display. Thinking this might be a problem with the replacement midplane, we swapped out that one for yet another midplane.

Now the enclosure is completely unusable! The fans are flashing amber LEDs and running at high speed, there is no Insight Display, two PSU bays are showing errors which persist in the same location even if the two "faulty" PSUs are swapped round.

The VC modules are interconnected in pairs, but not communicating with each other. The storage blades I have will initialise OK, but the server blades don't power up on their own, and I can't manually power them up as they don't respond to the button press

We have swapped out the OA tray, and tried the "minimum config" approach by removing all the VC modules, blades and the standby OA in a bid to eliminate the cause of this, all to no avail.

Not being experts with this equipment, my colleague and I are at a loss as to what's happening.... please help!
15 REPLIES 15
Cederberg
Honored Contributor

Hi!

have you tried to reflash your OA firmware since you replaced the Midplane? Somtimes the OA firmware contains some firmware for the underlying components as well.

I'm thinking as you replaced the midplane some firmware inside it is to low to function with your current OA FW?
Shadders
Advisor

Hi, Today - one of our C7000 chassis has done the exact same thing - the Insight Display is blank & all the fans are running at high speed & flashing amber. The chassis is no longer contactable via the OA. How did you fix your issue? My enclosure is fully populated & in a production environment.

Thanks
Steve

cnb
Honored Contributor

Steve,

You'll improve your chances on getting answers if you open and manage your own thread.

Rgds,

marcus1234
Honored Contributor

hi steve if this was a new setup i would , say the chassis is not square and has been squeezed , have seen it a few times,

but if it has already been used,

the remove all interconnects update with one blade at a time add all blades firmware updated and vc modules one at a time , then ad its redundant mate

till we bump into the issue..
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

as for the insight display htat cable is very easy to pinch when reinstalling the side connect circuit boards

also on every blade before firmware updates try this

clear nv ram

blade clear nvranm
Clearing the system configuration
To clear the system configuration:
1. Power down the server blade
2. Remove the server blade
3. Remove the access panellook at the diagram on it it will show the position of the maintenace switch( it clears Nv ram)
4. Change position 6 of the system maintenance switch to on.
5. Install the access panel
6. Install the server blade in the enclosure and power up the server blade.
7. Wait for the POST message that prompts you to change the switch setting:
Maintenance switch detected in the "On" position.
Power off the server and turn switch to the "Off" position.
8. Repeat steps 1 through 3.
9. Change position 6 of the system maintenance switch to off.
10. Repeat steps 5 through 7.

This is how we thank in the forum

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33
post feedback on status good luck :)
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

shadders pullout the oa and reseat it
nad ensure your firmwares follow the matrix on the OA firmware compatibility homepage

Shadders
Advisor

Thanks for your help - but Im not sure why this has happened. nothing has changed. OA firmware is all bang up to date & so are the serevrs. One minute the Chassis was fine & then all of a sudden the fans sped up & started flashing & the display on the front went off & is non responsive.

I'm thinking that the midplane has developed a fault.

I'll be speaking to HP today & see what they say. I'll update the thread when I have an answer.

Cheeers
Steve
Matt Palmer_2
Respected Contributor

Hi,

I had this exact same issue, and it was a problem with the Front-to-back assembly that connects the Insight display front panel to to Midplane.

Have you checked to see if there are any problems with the connection from Front to back assy?

Regards

Matt
Shadders
Advisor

Hi Matt, Thanks for your reply - are you referring to the Insight Display pass-through board? Its the board on the left hand side (if you are stood in front) of the enclosure.