New Discussion юеВ

Re: C7000 Virtul Connect firmware update

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kevin Debono
Occasional Advisor

C7000 Virtul Connect firmware update

Hi everyone,

Yesterday evening I tried to update the Virtual Connect firmware to version 2.12 but it seems that something went horribly wrong. The firmware on the 2 ethernet modules was update successfully and in fact I changed between the active and the standby module in order to activate the new firmware. Till there no problems. The problem is with the FC modules, I started to update the first one but it is stuck at 1% since last night and there is nothing else that I can do. See attached screenshot. Everything still seems to be working fine but I have no idea how to recover from this situation.

Thanks

Kevin
9 REPLIES 9
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

VC FW update is a pain in the arse. Even with identical enclosures and FW levels results may vary a lot =)

Try with vcutil (latest version)
OR power off and on the FC module (wait few minutes) and try again. It might get the updated fw activated on reboot too.

few times I even had to physically reinsert the module from enclosure.
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

with VC-FC module running 1.20 (not the VC FW version) and newer it might even get updated correctly at first time.

but versions below 1.20 fail almost every time

Kevin Debono
Occasional Advisor

Dear Jarkko,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

So I can try to update the firmware using the cmdline utility even if there is already an upgrade in progress?

Normally if I restart one FC module the Blades will not lose the connectivity with the SAN right since there is the 2nd module?

If the module itself fails because the firmware fails to update the Blades might lose connectivity to the SAN? Will it need to be replaced by HP?

Kevin
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

if VC-FC modules fails or reboots, servers will lose connection to that SAN. BUT if you have another module there is no problem if You are using some multipating to storage=1/2 of the paths will go down.

If the module is in a loop of FW update power off/on interrupts it. And you can try the update again.

JKytsi
Honored Contributor

*sigh* I have just now a similar issue on my hands too ... FW update is looping in VC-FC module and even if I power off/on --> it starts looping again (no fw package uploaded to VC). So I have to remove the module physically and reinsert.

Kevin Debono
Occasional Advisor

From my side I will try to restart the module and then if it doesn't work I will remove and put back the module put I cannot do that now in case something goes wrong
JKytsi
Honored Contributor
Solution

well ...that was a lost cause for me. Called HP for replacement. The VC-FC module never booted up (all lights were lit and nothing else).

Kevin Debono
Occasional Advisor

Jarkko,

For me restarting powering off the modules and reseating them solved the problem

Thanks a million
Kevin Debono
Occasional Advisor

Powering off and reseating the FC modules solved the problem and the firmware was upgraded successfully