New Discussion

Re: C7000 blade system problem

Franny56
Advisor

Torsten - i have tried everything

I made a serial null modem cable - nothing from it - not signal on the hub

I have tried static adress's , dchp and nothing

I get activity from the led next to the interlink port and corisponding activity on the hub

The stupid thing must be dead

2 days !!! and this dam thing  will not appear - i have now tried reset on both OA modules - no good - i get the same activity from both modules to the hub........everything seems to be working except the dam thing appearing and giving its IP address

I am close to taking a hammer to this thing

I have never had any luck when i try to network anything 

I have tried crossover cable striaght to a laptop - nothing - Serial numm cable - nothing

When i stripped the entire machine to remove the insight lead i noticed that the enclouser is basically a big box - the only electronics in it  are the pcb for the LCD , that connects to the inner module. The 'guts' of the machine are the  OA modules and the sleeve they both plug into - they are the brain of the machine ( i think anyway) - 

I either have to buy a replacement lcd or new modules. I am thinking the modules are dead and the sleeve with them

really fed up with this dam thing and regreting buying it 

Franny56
Advisor

Torsten - I give up on this

The module is not sending its ip no matter what i do

Have decided to buy a replacement LCD - at least I will know what is going on with the machine as there is no video output anywhere that I can see.

Is there any setting you know of thst tells the OA's not to transmit their IP address -  either they are both broke (even though they seem to be working in every other way) or they have been setup not to transmit their IP...... but i imagine that the reset would have fixed that problem

I just dont get it - i am looking at the hub and their is activity from the c-7000 on the hub, and any other devive I plug into it their activity appears ......the c-7000 just will not appear in ipconfig or ip finder

Thank you for all your help Torsten , I really apreciate it.

I will order the replacement LCD and try again when it arrives. Right now I need a beer and to calm the hell down!!!

cheers

Franny56
Advisor

whoooooo   - i was just about to turn it all off and i tried one more time

I got something from the module itself - 192.168.1.2 -  integrated lights out 2 is on the laptop

trying to login

Franny56
Advisor

now for no reason both OA modules appear if i connect to them - I have no idea what i did

But i cannot log into either of them with the username and password printed on the underside of each module

still nothing from the interlink ports. 

Im thinking the username and passwords only work with the interlink ports?

will remove the OA modules and the sleeve to check the actual ports themselvs - there must be a broken connect pin , or dirt, or something wrong in there

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

>> I got something from the module itself - 192.168.1.2 -  integrated lights out 2 is on the laptop

This is the ILO of one of the servers.

Looks like you still have an IP address problem.

If you open a "cmd" on your laptop and run "ipconfig /all", what do you get?

You are connected to the LAN port on the right, correct?

If using the serial port, look out for the "active" LED at the OA.

C7000-OA.png

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Franny56
Advisor

Hi Torsten

Thank you for all your help.

Here are 2 images - the first is with the adapter set to DCHP

The second is with a static IP

I removed and stripped the sleeve module for the OA's last night. There are 2 circuit boards inside and a connector between them. I cleaned the connector with acetone and reassembled. Could not see any signs of damage (burnt out components, dry solder commections on the connector pins or the interlink sockets. Tested them with a meter for good connections. Reassembled the unit and tried again, still the same. There is constant activity from the interlink led when i insert the patch cable, and yes i am using the right hand socked (the one with the laptop symbol)

I did find that when connecting straight to a laptop, using no hub, there is nothing coming from the socket what so ever. The adapter in the l;aptop is sending data to the interlink but nothing is coming back. I read that the port is wired to use a standard cable not a crossover cable, even though i have tried both.

unless i have a setting wrong (which is quite possible as I have next to no experiece in networking, I dont know what netbios is, DNS,WINS etc etc) I am thinking the sleeve module is simply faulty, despite the activity led flashing.

I think I will just order a new one from ebay ( sleeve unit)

Thank you again Torsten

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Looks like you still use the wrong IP address for your PC, try

netsh interface ipv4 set address name="Local Area Connection" static 169.254.1.254 255.255.255.0

from a CMD window, check with "ipconfig" again.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

Franny56
Advisor

I tried that command from the cmd box, I had to run the cmd box as admin, it accepted the command, Tried IPCONFIG /ALL  and still nothing. I have not got 1 responce from the interlink port in 2 days.

Torsten I dragged the machine across the room to plug it straight into my network adapter ( not using a hub)

And there is NO connection from the interlink port. I plug in the cable, get activity on the led BUT the win7 machine says 'cable unplugged'. If i take out the cable from interlink port and connect it to the module port I get a connection.

The sleeve module must be dead. I have tried everything, turned off anti virus, firewall,  tried static ip, DCHP, different cables etc etc

I will order the replacement sleeve from ebay

Torsten Can I ask you to have a look at these 2 pictures and tell me exactly what this machine is since I cant get acces to it to find out for myself. I dont know if these are gen 1 or gen 5 blades (looking at images on the internet). There are 10 of these blades ( BL 406c).. They each have 2 hard drives and most have 4 gig of ram. Most have added module (it is for fiber obtic link i think) and they all have a hard drive cache card with a battey backup on the underside.Some have 32 gig of ram. There are 6 power supplys and the modules at the rear you see in the picture. I dont know what the processors are without access or without removing ta heatsink)

I bought this machine at an auction and they said 'it is working, we  switched it on and the fans run and all the lights came one". I think they knew as much about the machine as I !

Can you hazzard a guess at its current vaule ( if working with replacement sleeve module). Im getting a very bad feeling about this machine and amd dont know if it is even worth buying a replacement part.

Kind regards

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The interconnects are

bay1: Brocade (B-series) fibre channel switch

bay3: 1Gb ethernat pass-tru (direct connection from the blade NICs to the module RJ-45 jacks)

bay5: Cisco network switch

The blades are likely BL460c G1 - the G1 is not mentioned for the first generation, look at the fron side, you should see BL460c only.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Since the OA looks like working, I would try the serial connection again.

Take a null modem cable, connect it between the active OA and your PC, start putty, select serial, type in 9600 as speed and select the correct COM port. You should get a login prompt.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.