1752793 Members
5964 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: C7000 blade system problem

Franny56
Advisor

dont know if you missed my post earlier Torsten , but i got to the log in screen when i plug the network cable into the OA module itself, NOT the interlink connection

Both of them appear when i connect to them.

Their IP comes up as 192.168.1.2

But when I entered the username and password from the sticker under the module it wont log in - keeps telling me i have the wrong password/username - each has different username and password on the stickers under each module - i tried over and over making sure it was correct 

Tried reset - wont log in

I assume that password is only for logging to the 'onboard administrator'. I only got the lights out 2 log in screen

I just give up with this dam thing.

I paid 300 euro for it Torsten and im thinking it is a pile of faulty junk

what would this be worth if it is working, would be worth the 300 i paid for it?

kind regards

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I still think the system is OK and at least the serial connection method will work.

However, another workaround.

Keep ping "192.168.1.2" which is obviously an ILO of one of the blades.

Pull blade by blade out to get the answering blade.

Now use the front dongle

51blfU%2BWUSL._SY355_

and boot this blade. During boot the ILO message appears, press F8 and set a user and password.

Now point a browser to this address and log on.

From ILO screen you get the information about OA, similar to this:

OA-2.png

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Franny56
Advisor

Hello again Torsten

Today i recieved a  replacement  OA 'sleeve' module from Germany that was sold as 'tested  and working'

Im afraid it has made no difference. You were correct in your assumption of it not being the problem.

I just dont understand. If I click on my win7 machine 'adapter settings' the icon of my network adaptor comes up. If i double click on it i am shown a display of the adapter and the data being transmitted and recieved by the adapter. There is no data being recieved by the network adaptor from the laptop port of the OA sleeve, despite there being led activity. The windows machine says 'indetyfying network' when i pulg in the cable, but nothing is recieved, no data., then after a few moments it just says cable unplugged.

I have read the last post you have sent me and I will try to do what you say. I dont understand networking at all.

I have read about using ssh and puty but I dont have any communication from the OA sleeve

Do i have to have the blades installed for this to work. I have been trying all the time with no blades inserted into the machine.

I dont have the cable you describe but I will order one. It seems it will be the only way to gain access to the machine.

Again I tannk you for your kind help Torsten

regards

Franny56
Advisor

update-

I just plugged in 2 blades and turned on the server

After a while they both start flashing a red led. It is the second red LED down from the top. It has an icon like a soundwave.

After more reading it means 'critical condition'

Then i read about power.

Torsten I have only 1 power lead connected to this server. I just read I need a minium of 2 power leads.

I think I just found my stupid mistake.

I will get a second power lead rigged up and see what happens

Remember I said at the very bgining 'I am probally doing something stupid" !!!!!

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

>> I dont understand networking at all.

This makes me think the issue could be user caused ... sorry ;-)

If the IP address of your laptop doesn't fit the C7000 network settings, it cant work.

We can try again, step by step this time.

As a tutorial, see this link about how to set an IP address manually:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19249/how-to-assign-a-static-ip-address-in-xp-vista-or-windows-7/

Connect your PC to the sleeve port (where the laptop symbol is printed).

Now set the IP of your laptop to DHCP.

(click obtain an IP address automatically)

442x489x5entersettings.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.xKxmgdBVps

Click OK.

Click the start button, type "cmd", when "cmd.exe" appears, right click and select "Run as Administrator".

Now do

ipconfig /renew

ipconfig /all

Please post the output of "ipconfig /all".

You should see an entry about the DHCP server, this is the internal OA address for this port.

Example (with another address):

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : speedport.ip
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Centrino(R) Ad
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 08-11-96-11-11-11
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.20(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Freitag, 3. Februar 201
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Samstag, 4. Februar 201
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.100
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.100
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.100

In my case this is my router at home - 192.168.2.100 (not really).

You now should be able to ping and ssh and even browser connect to 192.168.2.100 (my example).

Most likely you will find 169.254.1.49.

Plan B:

Now set a fixed IP address to your PC - use "Use the following IP address" like in the picture above and set

as IP and

as subnet mask. Leave gateway empty. Click OK.

Now use the advanced IP scanner and scan the range 169.254.1.1 to 169.254.1.254.

Any result?

[EDIT]

Disable WLAN on your PC while doing this!

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

Franny56
Advisor

I now now have 2 power supplys connected - the blades connected are no longer flashing red lights - so that problem is fixed

But still no data from the laptop port

I have done everything you have said but that port is not sending anything to 3 different coumputers that i have tried. (2 different laptops and my desktop)

I have tries static ip, the ip's and gateways you specified. I have tried so many configurations i am sure it must be something else.

Perhaps if a make a small video showing exactly what i am doing would you have a look at it Tornsten.

regards

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

If the OA network settings are unknown, the first step would be to connect the OA/iLO port to a network with a DHCP server. You would then look at the DHCP server logs to see if it is requesting an address.  If the OA is set to use a static address the only way to access the OA to discover configuration settings would be over the serial port with a null modem cable.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Franny56
Advisor

Decided to use ipconfig/all repeatadily as the m,achine boots.

the ip address appears as the server is booting - it came up in ipconfig/all  as 169.254.183.186. It is the first time I have seen it.

but as soon as the machine has booted and the fans slow down the ip is nonger displayed. Ipconfig/all just stops reporting the IP

When i try to browse to it  the browser reports 'website found, waiting for reply'

The server must be setup to not transmit anything on the AO port

The only way to get this working is to buy a replacement insight LCD display so I can configure the port. Will see if I can find one on ebay.

it is what i should of done in the frst place. When i bought this machine the lcd was removed.

The wires were snipped. It looks like whoever was the previous owner purposely removed the lcd. Because without it there is no way to access the server

Would that seem right to you Tornsten?

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

The 169.x.x.x is know as the link local address space an OS may assign when it cannot access a DHCP server.  Your options are to buy a new LCD panel, or use a serial null modem cable between a pc and the OA module. The null modem cable is a much cheaper solution to figure out if you have purchased a functional system

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

get the serial null modem cable, you'll need it anyway to get the password.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.