4778 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: C7000 single fase power

N-GON
Occasional Contributor

C7000 single fase power

Hello,

i have a question but let me clarify first that when it comes to servers i'm newer than a noob.

I've bought a C7000 server with 8 blades (and 8 empty sockets) in it, which i want to use as a renderfarm.

The C7000 server came without powercables, and having no knowledge about it before buying i stumbled on my first questionmark yesterday after picking it up. I work from home where i don't have access to 3 fase power(yet). 

Can it hurt to use C19-IEC320 Power cables(picture-link), connect them to a regular multisocket and go to a regular single fase power socket from there?

https://www.google.be/search?q=C19-IEC320+Power+cable&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj21sD6roDTAhXFvBoKHbwfB2EQ_AUIBigB&biw=3440&bih=1261#imgrc=DiYbTNfHn49cIM:

https://www.google.be/search?q=stekkerdoos+vertaling+engels&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjU8tSVsIDTAhWD2hoKHeDcCV0Q_AUIBigB&biw=3440&bih=1261#tbm=isch&q=stekkerdoos&*&imgrc=V_kRC2wz7J3HXM:

The server has 8x BL460C G7 Blades in it with each 2x x5660 @ 2.8GHZ with 24GB ram.

I'm not planning on expanding the server any time soon.

If someone could give me some advice on this very basic question you would be of great help to me.

Thank you in advance, Sebastian from Belgium

5 REPLIES 5
TTr
Honored Contributor

>...use C19-IEC320 Power cables

If the C7000 has six C20 connectors in the back it has single phase power. No need to talk about 3phase.

It should also have a minimum of 3 power supplies. Therefore you need to connec a minimum of three power cords in the back.

> ...connect them to a regular multisocket and go to a regular single fase power socket from there?

Each power supply requires 2880VA, that's 13-14A at 200-220V. Therefore each power cord must come from a separate separate power feed from your building power source.

A single powerfeed is not enough to support three power supplies.

TTr
Honored Contributor

>... connect them to a regular multisocket and go to a regular single fase power socket from there?

>... A single powerfeed is not enough to support three power supplies.

Let me qualify my answer to your question about the multisocket. A single C19/C20 outlet probably does not have enough power to support three C7000 power supplies. If you have a high amperage (50AMP) circuit with a C19/C20 multisocket PDU then you could connect it to the three power connections of the C7000.

N-GON
Occasional Contributor

Thank you very much for the clarification.

Can i ask also why i only need to connect 3 power supplies from the 6 available? I asume this has to do with only 8 of 16 blades being installed?

TTr
Honored Contributor

You are correct that the number of power supplies has to do with the number of blades. But the C7000 ships with three power supplies minimum. (Some documents say it can run with only two). You can have more power supplies.

rboelens
Occasional Contributor

I did this when I got my first C7000. It came with 3 phase, but 3 phase was unavailable in my facility.

I tried using Phase Converters, and found that converters will only emulate 2/3 phases. Ergo only powering 2 of the 3 PSUs at a time. High Amperage Converters are VERY expensive and not worth the trouble and Mine kept tripping every time it did a boot cycle.

The 3 Phase Backplane has 2 Lines, A and B

Line A connects to PSUs 1 2 and 3, Line B connects to PSUs 4, 5 and 6. Depending on your power setup standalone/redundant/PSredundant you will need to place your 2 or 3 PSUs in the correct slots.

Each line has 4 wires. Common, Phase 1, Phase 2, and Phase 3. with each PSU getting 1 Phase and a common connected to it. Ex. PSU1 has Common and Phase 1, PSU2 has Common and Phase 2, PSU 3 has Common and Phase 3. They are DIRECTLY wired to the plug that your PSU plugs into, the backplane has no circuitry or regulators in between.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that I have the Above explaination out of the way (I hope you understand it), Let me tell you a better way of going about it. (And the way I went eventually, but should have done from the beginning which would have saved me a ton of time/money/headache)

I got a new HP Power Module for Single Phase for like 50$ on Ebay that was designed for single phase. Each PSU has built in circuitry for both 3 Phase and 1 Phase. There is no need to change anything on the PSU itself and I did not have to configure or change anything on the Chassis Either (Im using a Gen3 C7000 Chassis). I have read other users who performed this task had to make configuration changes, but I assume that is because they had earlier generation chassis as I never had to go through this process. (You can tell which Generation Chassis you have based on the model #)

The way you tell the difference between 3 Phase 1 Phase Power Modules, is 3 Phase has 2 Hardwired L6-30 Cables coming out of it, while the 1 Phase, has 6 C19 Ports, intended to connect to a PDU. You cannot connect 1 C19 Cable to power multiple PSUs. Not only is it not safe, you will trip a breaker (hopefully) or slag your wires and start a fire.

Most C19 PDUs only have 3-4 Ports in them, and If you're looking to do N+N or N+1, you will need to put them on different PDUs and different lines to take advantage of the redundancy options. It will work, but wont help you at all if your Line is the fault and not the PSUs.

Also, what you really need is a PDU, not a power strip like the ones shown there. PDUs dont have to cost a lot, but the nicer PDUs have a lot of features that are useful like monitoring and remote shutdown of ports.