108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: C7000 upgrade(OA and interconnects)

SOLVED
Go to solution
greenpaddy
Occasional Contributor

C7000 upgrade(OA and interconnects)

Currently running a mix of HP BL460 gen 8 and 9 in a C7000 chassis. After purchasing a Gen 10 I noticed that our OA is currently running v4.4 and according go the compatibility matrix the OA needs to be updated to v4.96

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=sf000050596en_us&docLocale=en_US .

The interconnects consist of Procurves and Brocade SAN switches. I do not have a VC.

I have been advised to do a stepped approach for the OA 4.4>4.5>4.6>4.8>4.9. My question is a there a matrix for upgrading the various interconnects...if i go to OA v4.5 what version do the interconnects need to be at or can i go all the way to the latest OA without any issue?

HP Procurve 6120XG = Firmware Z.14.43.260

Brocade = 7.2.1F

8 REPLIES 8
Suvamay
HPE Pro

Hello,

You can update the OA firmware to the latest. 

About the interconnect firmware you can udate in hop. Please have the configuration backed up just to be in safer side.

Thanks

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Blago
Advisor

Hi, Greenpaddy,

I have C7000 chassis with mix of BL460c G7, G8 and G9 and did an update of the OA from 4.5 to 4.95 without an issue.

Everything after the update was working properly. I would recommend you to close your browser and clean all cookies for the OA before login to the newest version just in case.

I also have a Brocade FC switches and when i tried to update them from version v7.2 to v.7.4.2f I got the following message:

Upgrade from v7.2 to v7.4.1d and higher is not supported. Please upgrade to 7.3 first and then upgrade to 7.4.

I hope this helps you!

Cheers,

Blago

If this helps you with your issue, please click the thumb to register a Kudo.
If it resolves the issue, please consider marking it as an Accepted Solution.
greenpaddy
Occasional Contributor

Thank you both for the advice. 

How does one backup the config before hand? I dont see an option in the OA?

I also read that you have to update the OA from a machine that is on the same network as the OA - is this a requirement? Only reason I ask is because the OA in question is at a remote site. 

Blago
Advisor

Connect with ssh to the Active OA, then you type:

UPLOAD CONFIG <url of your ftp/tftp server>

Also, if you do not have ftp/sftp/tftp server configured you could do:

SHOW ALL  then you copy paste the whole output to a .txt file just in case.

As per the OA update, all you need is access to the Active OA form there you go to:

Active Onboard Administrator -> Firmware update -> local file .... hit the Browse button. Then grab a beer or coffe sit and enjoy.

Cheers

greenpaddy
Occasional Contributor

Plan is to preform over a weekend, onsite at remote location.

Backup OA per steps provided.

Preform upgrade in hop fashion...4.4 > 4.5 > 4.6 > 4.8 > 4.9.

If anything were to go wrong would the OA upgrade itself have any effect on the interconnects or even the VMware environment (VMs) running on the blades or is the OA just a management console for the hardware?

Blago
Advisor
Solution

Hey, Greenpaddy,

since I can see you have configured a Virtualization on a chassis with many blades, you know that potentially there is always something that could go wrong. But in this case I doubt that.

The reason I think you wont face any issues is that on every C7000 chassis you have two OAs, an active and a standby. You update one at a time even if something goes wrong with some of the updates you have the other one running the stable version. This is why I would recommend you to go from 4.4 to 4.95 directly in this way you would know if something is not right, you have one of the OAs on 4.4 that have been working for you so far.

If something with the upgrade is not OK I guess there is one drawback as everything from misconfiguration to a fault with the OAs, the chassis power consumption and fans are maxed out. It could get a bit loud in your server room

Good luck!

greenpaddy
Occasional Contributor

Happy to say the upgrade was successful. I preformed it in a hop fashion 4.4> 4.5 >4.6>4.8 with no issues in between. Each stage took about 10-12 mins per. I ran out of time and didnt get to 4.9 and 4.96 but I'm pretty confident with the process for future upgrades. 

Blago
Advisor

I am glad all went fine, I am sure you will go to 4.96 without an issue. Thanks for posting, I just realized I am running 4.95 and there is a newer version. I will update soon.

I guess my advise was somehow wrong for a 1 hour activity you should have had at least 2 beers at hand