New Discussion

Re: C7000 uplink to Nexus

SOLVED
Go to solution
PaulId
Occasional Contributor

C7000 uplink to Nexus

Hi

We are using a C7000 at the moment with 2 x Virtual Connect Flex-10 , 1x1gb connections in each.

My boss wants to get a 10gb uplink to a possible Cisco Nexus.

I need to work out if I use the CX4 uplink and a CX4 copper cable to connect to the Nexus.

Can anybody confirm this?

Also if we start using the 10Gb for uplink to our core network, what happens to our other 8xGb connections?

Can we keep them as a backup to another switch just in case our core Nexus fails?

Sorry about the questions, Im trying to learn all this and Im starting to wonder if I need to go on a course :)

Thanks

Paul

4 REPLIES 4
Jeroen_Kleen
HPE Pro

hi Paul,

The VC Flex10 offers SFP+ and 1 CX4 connection for uplink towards towards the higher upstream switch.

Keep in mind that the X1 port is shared between an CX4 physical port and the SFP+ port that is on the right of it. You can ONLY use 1 port.

When you do use 10GB CX4 or 1 SFP+ port you can still use your 1GB uplinks for other connections or you can use them in the same LACP group but then they will be put on standby (not active) in that way you have them available for redundancy if the 10GB cable breaks. What Nexus are you talking about? As most Nexus switches have SFP+ only and as such you would not use the CX4 cable but the SFP+ port on the X1 connector.

I hope this helps? Cheers, Jeroen

(I am an HPE employee)
PaulId
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the fast reply Jeroen.

We are considering the Nexus 5548P.

Thanks

Paul

Jeroen_Kleen
HPE Pro
Solution

Howdy Paul,

The nexus 5548p uses only SFP+ ports; so you would use then either a SFP+ DAC cabel (1 of these:):

HP C-Series SFP+ to SFP+ Copper 3.0m Direct Attach Cable AP784A HP C-Series SFP+ to SFP+ Copper 5.0m Direct Attach Cable AP785A

As you can see those CISCO DAC cables that we support are only 3 or 5 meters in length!

Or you use a SR SFP+ adapter:

HP BladeSystem c-Class 10Gb Short Range Small Form-Factor Pluggable Option

455883-B21

Together with an 10GB SR SFP adapter on your Nexus 5538p with of course any OM3/OM4 LC-LC cable.

I hope this helps?
Cheers, Jeroen

(I am an HPE employee)
PaulId
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Jeroen