BladeSystem - General
1752802 Members
5210 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Can FC Virtual Connect be used as a switch?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ken Kleiner
Advisor

Can FC Virtual Connect be used as a switch?

Hi, New to FC here. If I have a FC virtual connect module in our c3000 and it is cabled to a SAN, can I use one of the external ports on the VC to allow an external host to also see that SAN? I.E. is this also a switch?

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
HEM_2
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Can FC Virtual Connect be used as a switch?

Ken

unfortunately, no. The VC-FC modules are not SAN Switches. More than anything they are HBA Port Aggregators so connecting an external host up to VC-FC is not supported. VC-FC only supports being connected to SAN Switches that support NPIV on their connected ports.
Ken Kleiner
Advisor

Hi, Does that also mean that there still needs to be a switch between the VCs and the MSA? I.E. cannot direct connect the VC port to the MSA?

Thanks again.

HEM_2
Honored Contributor

yes, VC-FC has to connect directly to a switch. Does the MSA have an embedded SAN switch?
Ken Kleiner
Advisor

I don't think the MSA has a switch.

MSA switches are not supported by FC VC, see relase notes - compatibility matrix in firmware/product documentation.
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

VC-FC requires SAN Switches that support NPIV. A Brocade switch must support at least 5.1, which is when Brocade introduced NPIV. The MSA 2/8 SAN switch supports only up to 3.x for the Brocade FOS/fw.