BladeSystem - General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can FlexFabric module connect directly to "traditional" FC switch?

Paul_637
Regular Advisor

Can FlexFabric module connect directly to "traditional" FC switch?

I'm looking into the most appropriate connectivity for a c7000 and a number of Flex-based hosts for ESX but haven't yet found confirmation of what's possible with the FlexFabric module.

I know it can split 50/50 between Ethernet & FC but wanted to confirm that, if 4 of the ports are configured as FC 8Gb ports, can they be connected directly to a traditional SAN FC switch (such as a HP b-series or a Cisco MDS 9124 series).

The thing that's causing me confusion is the references I see to FCoE so any pointers would be appreciated!

Regards,

Paul
3 REPLIES
Zygmunt Krawczyk
Honored Contributor

Re: Can FlexFabric module connect directly to "traditional" FC switch?

Hi,

2 or 4 ports of VC FlexFabric module can have FC personality, and can work at 8/4/2Gb speed. You can connect these ports directly to B-Series or C-Series switches in NPIV mode.

Regards,
Zygmunt
Zygmunt Krawczyk
Honored Contributor

I recommend reading the doc:
HP Blade System Networking Reference Architecture
HP Virtual Connect FlexFabric Module and VMware vSphere 4
Technical whitepaper
http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02499726/c02499726.pdf
SunnyS
Advisor

Paul, the FCoE reference is for the server side ports of the FF module, which connect to the CNA in the server.

On the uplink ports, the FF module supports two types of connections (1) Ethernet (2) FC. It has 8 uplink ports. Out of these 8 uplink ports, you can use upto 4 port for FC.

The FC connection must be connected to a FC switch (so, can't go directly to a disk array, for example).