8424 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion

Can I "Hot add" Interconnect modules

robzodiac
Visitor

Can I "Hot add" Interconnect modules

Hi,

I have a new C7000 chassis using Flex 10 and G7 Blades - all working perfectly. 

I've got an old Blade enclosure with G1 blades, just using the Gb ethernet pass through which I would like to use for some less critical projects and testing... I could fire up the old enclosure and use it for this project - but mindful of heat concerns, if its possible I'd like to use the current enclosure, but it has no ethernet passthrough.

Can I add the Ethernet passthrough while the enclosure and production blades are powered on or is this a no-no?

Many Thanks,

Rob.

1 REPLY 1
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: Can I "Hot add" Interconnect modules

Generally speaking... you should be able to add/remove interconnects without affecting running blades.

The question is... do you need the passthru's?  You already have Flex-10's in bays 1 and 2.  Do these old G1 servers have extra mezz cards for more NIC's? If so, then depending upon the slot they are in... you can put the pass-thru's in other interconnect bays (3 thru 8).

You may need to update firmware though depending upon how old the units are vs. the new enclosure.

Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)