BladeSystem - General
1752788 Members
6143 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Can SmartStart be used for Windows 2008R2 Boot From San on a BL460c G7?

Mohannad_Hamid
Occasional Advisor

I have done this multiple times never run into this probelm before.

initially only set the Primary FCoE Boot Parameter for operating install. Once OS is installed add the secondary parameter in the server profile

BIOS Configuration:

System Options - > nic personalities  set to FCoE

PCI Device Enable/Disable -> disable PCI Embedded Hp smart Array P410i controller

Set Boot order

Boot from SAN boot Order (IPL) -> Hard Drive C: to boot first

WW476701
Regular Visitor

We do have three ISO images ready for the install, the SmartSmart, the Windows and the BFS driver. When it fails we have the screen shown in the attachment.

This is during the 2nd reboot. The OS bits are put in place in the FC LUN via SmartStart and then a reboot. During the 1st reboot the BFS FC driver is required and installed. We continue with building Windows, i.e decompress the files, count up to 100 % and a couple more phases and then REBOOT. Then the message in the attachment.

Initially only set the Primary FCoE Boot Parameter for operating install. Once OS is installed add the secondary parameter in the server profile.     >> Yes, one path is configured for installation. We cannot get to Windows to be able to complete the configuration. <<

BIOS Configuration:

System Options - > nic personalities set to FCoE    >> Yes, personality set for FCoE <<

PCI Device Enable/Disable -> disable PCI Embedded Hp smart Array P410i controller     >> There is no internal disk <<

Set Boot order

Boot from SAN boot Order (IPL) -> Hard Drive C: to boot first   >> The Boot order is set for C: as first in order. <<

Mohannad_Hamid
Occasional Advisor

can you please confirm that a different Media Installation CD for W2k8R2 have been tested, as the one you are using may be corrupted.

We need to get a feeling if there are many others experiencing the same issue as well.

if you have already changed the media, try the following, use smart start CD to delete the installation by clicking erase when it load to the installation section then try again, and post outcome.

by the way thanks for screen shot, you are definatley on the right track, by the way are you installing on BL460G7 and using FCoE driver. maybe i can upload the driver that im using so you can try it. its worth a try.

Mohannad_Hamid
Occasional Advisor

install the oemsetup.inf