5783 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can't get link with the second NIC on a BL460c

Miguel Duarte

Can't get link with the second NIC on a BL460c

Hi,

Here's the scenario.
I've got a c7000 Enclosure, with two HP 1Gb Ethernet Pass-Thru Module for c-Class BladeSystem on bay 1 and 2, respectively.
I've installed Windows 2003 x64 (with SP2), with the latest Smartstart, on a BL460c in bay 9.
According to the mappings, NIC 1 is on port 9, bay 1 and NIC 2 is on port 9 bay 2.
The problem I'm having is that the OS shows NIC 2 as disconnected. Also there's no link indication on both the module and switch.
Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for any help.
4 REPLIES 4
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

The obvious one would be a bad cable, but you've probably already checked for that, right?

The not-so-obvious one is that the 1Gbps Ethernet Pass-Thru modules are gigabit *only*: they won't switch to lower speeds. If you plug a cable from a Pass-Thru module to a 100M switch, you'll get no link at all. This is a design limitation of the c-class BladeSystem NICs in combination with the Pass-Thru module.

MK
MK
Miguel Duarte

Thanks for the reply.
Indeed I checked the cable. And the switch is gigabit (a Cisco 2960G). The other NIC is connected to the same switch. Nevertheless, I tested with another Gb switch and got the same result.
Another thing I did was to test the second NIC on another blade server and I got the same result. Can this be a defective part, or am I missing some sort of configuration?
Miguel Duarte

Solved it by unplugging and plugging the module...
Thanks for the help.
Miguel Duarte

See post above.