108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can't modify the NIC configuration of BL480c

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ali Saleh AlAli
Advisor

Can't modify the NIC configuration of BL480c

We have BL480c blade server, and we want to modify the NIC properties in the advanced tap. we want to change the speed & duplex from auto to 100MB for example, but it is set to auto and it is shaded which means we can't change it.
7 REPLIES 7
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

do you use virtual connect? If not, which type of network connectifity do you use in the blade enclosure?

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Ali Saleh AlAli
Advisor

We are using physical Ethernet cable connected to the NIC model part number below:
HP BLc 1Gb Enet Pass Thru Mod Opt Kit
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

did you tried this modification with the network configuration tool or directly over the network card properties?? Is there a small, green icon in you system tray to configure you NICs?

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

Sorry, the internal wiring of the blade enclosure restricts the NICs to gigabit _only_.
(Some diagnostics programs might actually tell you that the NIC media type is 1000base-SX, i.e. a fibre NIC.)

If you were using the blade switch I/O modules, you could set the speed & duplex of outgoing ports of the switch modules, but the pass-through modules cannot do that.

MK
MK
rick jones
Honored Contributor

So, let's back-up a step and discuss why you want to drop the NIC speed in the host to 100 megabit. Depending on why and what OS you are running there might be other options.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Ali Saleh AlAli
Advisor

Thank for your replys. The Blade Server we have is Gigabit Ethernet port and the Switch is Megabit Ethernet. The communication is not happening. OS is windows 2k3. Any suggestion?
Phillip Thayer
Esteemed Contributor

You have two options:

1. Upgrade your network switches to Gigabit switches.

2. Change your blade interconnect modules to one of the blade switches or Virtual Connect.

I just ran into this problem on my last system deployment and they had to upgrade to gigabit switches.

Phil
Once it's in production it's all bugs after that.