BladeSystem - General
1752717 Members
5969 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Can you change the chassis redundant power mode without affecting running blades?

Mike O.
Regular Advisor

Can you change the chassis redundant power mode without affecting running blades?

We currently have a C7000 with six power supplies set up as "AC redundant" in a 3+3 configuration.

We want to temporarily change that to the "power supply redundant" 5+1 mode. 

Can we change that "live", while the blades are powered up without affect the running systems? 

What's happening is that we have two C7000's, each with a mix of G5 and G7 blades.  Due to a some network configuration work, we needed to temporarily move some of the G7's to "chassis 2".  The problem is that when we did that, the OA won't let us power up the blade since it could potentially exceed the capacity of the three power supplies.    We're not actually running near the limit, but since we don't have the ILO power capping licenses, apparently the OA will only look at a "worst case" power draw for each blade, and the G7's have a higher value than the G5's.

We want to put the chassis in the 5+1 mode so that we have the capacity to power up the additional blades.  I know this would cost us some redundancy, but it would only be for about a day.  I just want to make sure it's even possible to make the change before approaching management.

Mike O.

1 REPLY 1
TVVJ
HPE Pro

Re: Can you change the chassis redundant power mode without affecting running blades?

The settings can be changed in the OA in live environment. Also, ensure that the OA’s firmware is at a minimum of 3.11 or the latest to ensure that G7 blades are able to be powered on.

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo