BladeSystem - General
1753449 Members
5932 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cannot connect blade to the Network using VC enet

Cannot connect blade to the Network using VC enet

I am using a C7000 with an interconnect on bay 1/2 using the LOM. Slot 1 through to 4 are full hight blades, Solt 5 & 6are half heigt. Recently, I added two full hight blades in slot 7 & 8.
Configured slot 7 to connect to the Network, but slot 8 blade does not connect as it says something "no free ports available".

I am not sure why as it should be connecting to the interconnect Bay 1 port 1 and Bay 2 port 1 as the rest of the blades.

8 REPLIES 8
cjb_1
Trusted Contributor

Is the profile ok? Is the "no free port" message from the vc log? If not, what does the vc log say?

When the profile set up did not work, I cloned a working profile and renamed it. That didn't work.
Trying to get hold of the log files to see if there are any errors.
cjb_1
Trusted Contributor

Check how your macs are set up. Do you use an HP default set or factory defaults?

Yes, I believe that the default was used. I am only followed the same as whoever set it up did.
Do I have to register the MAC addresses or is it like any other switch picks them up automatically and add them to its MAC table?

By the sounds of it I need to do something here. What is the procedure to add the MACs ?

On a dfferent note, the environment is running VM Xenserver with Thin client. They only set up a management and production LAN. I thought it would be a better design to use Vlan tagging and create more vnets to seggregate the traffic. It looks like they running the Vmotion (or citrix equivalent) with the back up with thin client. They are having a performance issue. The answer is add more Citrix servers to the farm. Any best practice in this respect using VC that you know off?
cjb_1
Trusted Contributor

I've said this before. You can also check it's not a hardware issue by switching your physical blades (in you case swap 7 and 8 arround). Removes possibility of bad mezz or hba.
cjb_1
Trusted Contributor

Sorry, cant help with that, not got vm here.

Default macs should be ok.

Cjb;

you are right. Unfortunately, this work was done on Sunday and we run out of time to do what you suggested as we unearthed other issues.
This was the next step, but I working on the assumption that the NICS are ok. I have to go back Sunday to finish the configuration. The NICs are onboard ones not in mezzaning that is why they connect to INterconnect Bay 1 & 2.

Finally got the files. There is nothing really obvious. The only message relating to the problem is :

[SVR:Profile_Server8:5051:Warning]"There are more Ethernet connections defined for the profile than exist on the server blade."