New Discussion юеВ

Combining / Trunking 2 x GbE2c Layer2/3 Switches with HP C3000 Blade System

SOLVED
Go to solution
Matthias Haenggi
Frequent Advisor

Combining / Trunking 2 x GbE2c Layer2/3 Switches with HP C3000 Blade System

Hi all,

In my C3000 enclosure I have installed 2 x GbE2c Layer2/3 switches. Is it possible to trunk the switches in order to get more performance?

Thanks, Matthias
4 REPLIES 4
Diego Salim de Oliveira
Valued Contributor

Re: Combining / Trunking 2 x GbE2c Layer2/3 Switches with HP C3000 Blade System

Hello Matthias!

Let me see if I understood.

Do you want to trunk the ports of each switch with the core switch?
For example, you want to use 2 ou more ports of one switch to create a trunk (a logical port with load balance and failover) with the core?
If this is what you want, yes. You can do that. Just note that LACP is not supported by GbEc 2/3.

Or do you want to create a trunk (port team) between the server ports and the switch ports?
If this is what you want, you can do that, but, have some pre-requisites.
The ports of the server must be connected to the same switch. And the OS must support it (Windows and RHEL support it).

I hope I could help.

Best regards,

Diego
Matthias Haenggi
Frequent Advisor

Hello Diego,

Thanks for your answer. Basically the idea is the following: each GbE2c Layer2/3 has five uplink ports. My idea was to use 2 x GbE2c Layer2/3 switches and connect all available uplink ports (2 x 5 ports = 10 ports) to the core switch in order to increase the bandwidth. Do you think this is possible?

At least I did not really manage to implement a working configuration. Currently all blades are just mapped to the first GbE2c Layer2/3 switch, but not to the second one..

Thanks.

Kind regards,
Matthias
Diego Salim de Oliveira
Valued Contributor
Solution

Hello Matthias!

Yes, you can make a trunk between 5 ports of the first (top) GbE2c 2/3 with 5 ports of your core. So, you'll have 5GbE total bandwidth, with failover.

You can do the same in the second GbE2c, but, if the servers don't have an additional mezzanine card Ethernet (an additional ethernet card), they won't have connection to the second gbE2c, so, you won't have traffic between the GbE2c and the core.

I hope I could help, but, if you still have any question, tell me.

Diego
Matthias Haenggi
Frequent Advisor

Hello Diego,

I see - everthing clear now, thanks a lot.

Kind regards, Matthias