Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about half hight server and c7000 NICS

cybernation
Occasional Visitor

Confused about half hight server and c7000 NICS

Hello All,

Please note i'm a beginner to the blade series servers.

We currently have a c7000 encolsure, 3 half height server, and we have 2 GbE2c switchs.

We are running 2 esx servers, and the problem is, the ESX servers are only seeing 2 nics each. Do i have to purchase something else to give those servers more than 2 nics? I would like to have 3-4 nics avaiable in ESX.

We currently have 2 ethernet cables from the GbE2c switches into our core switches.

I figured that we weren't seeing more nics in esx because we only had 2 cables in our main core, so i plugged in 2 more in our GbE2c and created a network loop.

The blade model is: ProLiant BL465c G5

Thanks...
3 REPLIES
cybernation
Occasional Visitor

Re: Confused about half hight server and c7000 NICS

i forgot to add, we do not have a license for virtual connect..
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

The servers themselves have only 2 embedded nics.

There are a varity of different options you can add to them.

2port NIC mezz card
4port NIC mezz card
1G/10G FlexNet card
Fibre Channel Adaptor
iSCSI hardware initiator

Keep in mind that adding in additional mezz cards will also require additional interconnect's. Your Gbe2's are interconnects. ;o)

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
TTr
Honored Contributor

The half height blades have only 2 builtin NICs. So these are the ones you see by default on the 2 switches. I assume that the 2 LAN switches are plugged in interconnect bays 1 and 2 in the back. If you want to add more LAN ports you have to add some hardware. First you need to add a LAN mezzanine card to the blade server and then you need to add two more switches in the back. Where you plug in the mezanine card in theblade server (slot 1 or 2) determines which bays the LAN ports show up in the back. Take a look at this doc for connectivity mapping strating on page 49

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00698286/c00698286.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN