BladeSystem - General
1752754 Members
4686 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Connecting VC Flex-10 to network switch

sbishop309

Connecting VC Flex-10 to network switch

We are in the process of purchasing blade infrastructure and i'm trying to figure out how i'm going to connect it to my network switch. Currently using one 4108gl for the whole network. How should i go about it?

Thanks for any help
Sbishop309
5 REPLIES 5
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

Well they need to be 1Gb.
And you probably need at least 2 RJ45 SFPs - one from each VC to the switch or switches.
Other than that - how long is a piece of string or strings.
sbishop309

Will i be able to trunk those ports coming from each VC into a 2GB uplink?
Thanks
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

hi bishop,

You can channel the connection to span these two modules but be advised that only one VC is active at any time, so your effective pipe will be only 1GB. If you want 2GB, get another pair of SFP-RJ45 adapters. :)

good luck
sbishop309

Would there be a better option? say 10gb uplink from the VC to a different(new) switch, then 4 or 5 1gb ports trunk to my 4108gl?

i want to make sure i don't have a bottleneck between my 4108gl and VC.

thanks
Sbishop
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Do you actually plan on using the Virtual Connect functionality? If not, you could presumably use pass-through modules - it would allow you to make direct 1 Gigabit connections from each blade to your existing 4108 - assuming it had the available ports - but it would mean lots of cables.

Also in the "if you aren't going to actually use Virtual Connect" vein, you could use ProCurve 6120 switch modules in the blade chassis. IIRC you may have slightly greater flexibility in trunking there.

However, you may have indeed arrived at the time to upgrade your venerable 4108 - the 5400 series comes to mind - they have 10 Gigabit ports available. You might peruse http://www.hp.com/go/procurve .

Definitely discuss the details with your HP sales rep or reseller.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows