4599 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Disabling cores on BL495c

Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Disabling cores on BL495c

Hi All,
I've found the following item for the BL495c G5 / G6 that covers off how to disable cores in a BL495c.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=3782978&prodTypeId=3709945&objectID=c01989569

All good except the option for me is completely different.
I get to an item "Processor Core Disable" and rather than being able to selectively disable cores I'm left with just two options, Disable Half, Enable All.
I actually want to disable all but one.
As far as I can see I am on the latest BIOS.

Is this document wrong?
6 REPLIES 6
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Re: Disabling cores on BL495c

Hello Rob,
there is problem at your site, I've just tested our bl495cG6, bios A14 12/09/2009, core selector is at: Advanced Options - Processor Options - AMD COre Select (Per Node).

do you have latest bios in place?

Jan
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Thanks,
The BIOS is listed as A14 (12/09/2009).
I've just tried powering off / removing the Blade. That's made things worse as now I cannot connect to it as it's reporting the ILO is unresponsive.
Think this is a job for HP Engineering!
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

pretty strange, let us know

Jan
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Jan,
Maybe the ILO BIOS got corrupted, I did do a full FW upgrade. Not sure what state the BIOS on the ILO was in, but I don't think it was the latest.
We're running the Quad Core G5's but the notes I see indicate the BIOS is the same for both G5's and G6's.
Anyway a call has been logged so we'll see what comes back.
Rob.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Disable cores option is different between the 2300 series and the 2400 series. With teh 2300's you can only disable half the cores.
Now need to see if I can replace 2300's with 2400's on this MB.
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Ah, interesting...

in my opinion, you can change cpu without problem - bios is the same, mobo is the same, we did it on older generation bl685cG1-G5

jan