BladeSystem - General
1748119 Members
3392 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Dual Broadcom 5704 Gigabit NICs

Dual Broadcom 5704 Gigabit NICs

Hi,
I'm installing a couple of bl870 and I can't put the NIC's to work when I connect them to my 10/100 switches, and it works connected directly to my Cisco 6500 at 1gb. I don't want to have a huge cable, so I realy want to put it to auto-sensing or simply force it at 100mb. Is is possible ?
2 REPLIES 2
HEM_2
Honored Contributor

no, all c-class blades NICs will only connect at 1Gb (or 10Gb). So if you are using a pass-thru module the links to your external switch will need to be at 1Gb.

An alternative would be to buy a c-class interconnect switch like a Procurve 6120g/xg, GBE2, Cisco etc. The blades will still connect at 1Gb to the downlinks of the switch but you can uplink the c-class switch at 100Mb
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Careful on the chassis module selection - not all the switch or I/O modules actually support going down to 100 Mbit/s. Be certain to consult the quickspecs for each before purchasing.

There are a number of 10/100/1000 ProCurve switches you could use to either interpose between the blade chassis and the 10/100 switches or even replace them entirely. http://www.hp.com/go/procurve would be a decent starting point. Heck, you could even replace the Cisco 6500 :)
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows