BladeSystem - General
1753477 Members
5913 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Duplicate management processor IP address detected after OA firmware upgrade

B Cave
Advisor

Duplicate management processor IP address detected after OA firmware upgrade

hi,

I recently upgraded the firmware on some blade infrastructure.
1. Upgrade blade BIOS to latest.
2. Upgrade ILO2 to 1.7 on blades
3. Upgrade OA firmware from 2.2 to 2.41 (primary & secondary)

After OA restarted, all the the blades that use EBIPA as well as 2 of the interconnect devices (2 x FC switches) have an "informational" status alert:
"a duplicate interconnect management IP address was detected." (interconnects) or
"a duplicate management processor ip address was detected." (device bays)

I have changed the EBIPA ranges to apply new IP addresses, and after new IP's are applied to teh devices, the informational messages still show up.

How would I go about resolving this?
4 REPLIES 4
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

Re: Duplicate management processor IP address detected after OA firmware upgrade

Hi B,
ur EBIPA addresses are taken from ranges assigned by your organization's DHCP servers you may have a conflict with another machine. The EBIPA addresses should not conflict with addresses from your DHCP ranges.

If that isn't a concern for you, I would attempt to remove EBIPA for the devices reporting the message. They should grab IPs from your DHCP server if you have one configured. In some cases (interconnect modules) you may need to re-seat the device. Afterward you can re-enable EBIPA addresses for those devices.

Good luck!
B Cave
Advisor

My DHCP range and EBIPA range are different and do no overlap at all (DHCP: 172.16.99.10-128/16; EBIPA: 172.16.10.x/16 - both on the same network, but on completely different ranges).

I have disabled EBIPA for all device bays. They have all received DHCP addresses now (e.g. from 172.16.10.20 to 172.16.99.30 for 10 blades), but all notices are still coming up about duplicate IP addresses.

Then I reset the active OA. Still getting notices.

Then I re-enabled EBIPA for the bays on 172.16.10.40-50 for the first 10 blades (interconnects have are on 172.16.10.180 and up). Still getting notices.

Reverted back to 172.16.10.20 - 30 for first 10 blades. Still getting notices.

Could this be a problem with the new firmware? (2.41)?
HEM_2
Honored Contributor

B:

I have noticed that with the newer OA FW versions 2.32 and 2.41 that the OA actually performs gratuitous ARPs for IP addresses it owns. If there is something on your network that is responding to those gratuitous ARPs then that will result in those messages. Run a wireshark capture on the OA/ILO port and you should find out what is responding to the OA's gratuitous ARPs.
UK-Blr
Frequent Advisor

I have faced the same issue on one of the FC module. I have moved all conenctions to another FC module.
Removed the FC module, wait for 2 minutes and reinster it back. It took care everything.