3219 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Easiest Way to do multiple firmware updates

Shanno
Occasional Contributor

Easiest Way to do multiple firmware updates

Hi,
We have several models of proliant servers on our network (40-50 servers of 10-15 different types). I need to perform firmware updates on all of them.

We are running Systems Insight Manager 5.1 with SP1 - Windows. All or servers are Windows 2003 servers. We do not have Version Control agents on the servers.

Is there an easy way to do this? I also need to record what the current levels are and what the new one's will be. How do I go about doing all of this? What is the simplest way?

Please Help!

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Ken Henault
Honored Contributor

Upgrade to the latest version of SIM, then use Configure -> Configure or Repair Agents. This tools can push out the agents without rebooting the system.
Ken Henault
Infrastructure Architect
HP
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

Shanno,

You say the Version Control Agent is not installed. Ken says how to install it. But do you want it installed?

To record what you have now then the simplest will be to install the VCA.

Does this also mean that you do not have Version Control Repository Manager installed on your SIM server?
Shanno
Occasional Contributor

Yes we do not either one of them installed, which is why I am trying to find another way to do all of this easily. I will have to check with other departments if I can install the Version control. Is it easy enough to install and set up the VCRM and VC agents? Or is it a fairly complicated process? Can you send me a link as to install them? If I can't get permission to put it on then what are my other options.

Thanks a lot.
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

If you need to update c-class blades specifically, there is now a new tool that let's you do an entire enclosure in one go. It is the BladeSystem FDT (Firmware Deployment Tool.
Note! The FDT tool will reboot blades as needed.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=3709945&prodSeriesId=1842750&swItem=MTX-a95ca55b3cc44183bfaff7a8fe&prodNameId=3288156&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=1
Shanno
Occasional Contributor

Thanks. We don't have blades- Proliant ML & DLs only.

Another ques - to do it manually do I have to download the PSP, Smart Start CD, Firmware, etc separately or is there a tool/CD that combines all the updates firmware and hardware?

Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

You want the Proliant Firmware Maintenance CD, version 8.30 is the latest:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&swItem=MTX-73c82be98b5f4eb3ac4b72c2e3&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

For documentation there is a user guide & release notes. Hope this helps.