1752578 Members
4775 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Easy way to update all BL BIOS?

cybercoaster
Frequent Advisor

Easy way to update all BL BIOS?

On a new enclosure of blades, is there a quick way to upgrade the BIOS on all the blades or certain bays? Or, am I stuck getting on each blade and upgrading that way?
4 REPLIES 4
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Check out "Automating software maintenance in an HP environment" for information about using the Version Control features of HP SIM to keep firmware updated. This functionality is provided free of charge.

http://www.hp.com/go/hpsim --> Information Library --> Version Control documents for HP ProLiant and Integrity Systems --> Manuals - Version Control --> Whitepapers
cybercoaster
Frequent Advisor

Thanks but I was looking for a way where no OS was installed on them already.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Okay, then, this can be done in a pre-boot execution environment. The HP Rapid Deployment Pack (whether licenses are acquired for it individually or through the Insight Control Data Center Edition) and HP Control Tower (today which is licensed through the Insight Control Linux Edition) have jobs to perform that which can become part of your standard build procedure. If you're not purchasing either of these tools from HP, the same techniques can be applied as part of a build process based on Microsoft ADS or some other solution.

You can also make an interactive or scripted process using the Firmware Update CD and iLO Virtual Media. There are additional methods and capabilities that can be enabled through the use of the SmartStart Scripting Toolkit.
cybercoaster
Frequent Advisor

Thanks. We are using MS ADS to deploy servers. I will look in to using PXE boot to update.