cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enclosure Firmware Management failures

MPM-Exelis
Occasional Contributor

Enclosure Firmware Management failures

I have been testing the EFM features of OA 3.70, and so far it has been working OK with an exception in 1 chassis. In this chassis we have a combination of servers, 460 G6/G7 and 490G6/G7.  I am only attemption manual discoveries and manual updates.

In any instance, the blade will successfully mount the ISO to the iLo device, but the discovery/update never happens because the blade does not detect a running OS from the ISO. 

From the firmware log:

Dec 10 09:28:24 Inserted http://serverurl/HP-SPP-2012.08.iso into iLO3 virtual media.
Dec 10 09:28:30 Changed BIOS Serial Console Port to COM1.
Dec 10 09:28:31 Connected to Virtual Serial Port.
Dec 10 09:28:31 Blade waited 0 minutes 2 seconds before booting ISO.
Dec 10 09:28:31 Powering on blade with virtual button press.
Dec 10 09:29:01 Blade powered on.
Dec 10 09:30:22 Server blade booting System BIOS.
Dec 10 09:37:56 Unable to detect ISOLINUX booting.
Dec 10 09:37:56 Powering off blade

From the session log:

BIOS for Adapter 0 is disabled

BIOS for Adapter 1 is disabled
ROM BIOS NOT INSTALLED
Press "F9" key for ROM-Based Setup Utility
 Press "F10" key for System Maintenance Menu
 Press "F11" key for Default Boot Override Options
 Press "F12" key for Network Boot
 For access via BIOS Serial Console
 Press "ESC+9" for ROM-Based Setup Utility
 Press "ESC+0" for System Maintenance Menu
 Press "ESC+!" for Default Boot Override Options
 Press "ESC+@" for Network Boot
Attempting Boot FromCD-ROMAttempting Boot FromUSB DriveKey (C:)
SYSLINUX 3.63 0x4c65c124 EBIOS Copyright (C) 1994-2008 H. Peter Anvin
0                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            </>hpiLO->

That is it, no error codes to search for.

in a chassis where the EFM is working, the Session log continues with ISOLINUX  boot entries and process logs. everything prior to this boot menu is the same however.

I have verified chassis configurations are the same, as well as the underlying module firmware levels are the same. in working chassis, the same mix of blade servers is found; and I have successfully updated G6 & G7 servers.

Any ideas or assistance is much appriciated.  I am trying to get EFM up and running for all of our chassis.

2 REPLIES
MPM-Exelis
Occasional Contributor

Re: Enclosure Firmware Management failures

Have discovered this is not an EFM issue at all.  The blades will mount, but will not boot from any ISO mounted to the iLo. The only ISOs that are bootable on this chassis are ones that are on a USB and mounted through the OA. 

mrlange
Occasional Visitor

Re: Enclosure Firmware Management failures

Hi,

I discovered the same problem.  Ultimately the ability to boot from the scripted media was fixed by ensuring that each iLO's firmware (our blades are Gen7 so, they're running iLO3) were the latest version, and that the network settings in the iLO were properly configured (iLO DNS name, DNS resolvers, etc). 

I have another two chassis that had no issue with this so I was befuddled.  I did not setup this particular chassis, so I assumed that the iLO configurations were all complete...they were not.